Unexpected New Chick!

Imma Okie

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 2, 2011
Oklahoma
I was at a ranch supply store yesterday shopping for the usual feed supplies. I won’t say what store but I will tell you the initials are T.S.C. *winks*
I was passing the chicks and I had to stop…JUST to look. I already had my new arrivals at home. They only had some buff Cochins and itsy bitsy tiny black chicks left. OH SO CUTE!
Anyway, I was turning to walk away (I really was!) and I saw a lil fuzzy Cochin chick standing there with a very pasty bottom. I immediately asked the girl working if anyone was going to take care of that chick, otherwise it could die. She told me that they may try to clean it but…and she made an “oh well” face.
In other words, that chick was going to die! I asked her “how much for the pasty bottom chick?” A male worker chimes in and says that they can’t sell less than 6 at a time. I say “but it’s going to DIE.”
The girl then gets on the horn to the manager. He tells her that I can have the chick! Just….take it! She boxed her up and I went straight to the bathroom to clean its poor little bottom. When I checked out, the manager was very nice about it, and even asked if I had electrolytes. I am happy he cared more about saving that chick than a couple of dollars.
Our newest flock member (wing feathers indicate that she is a pullet) is now in quarantine in a warm brooder box with a nice clean bum! She seems to be thriving.

thumbsup.gif
I hope she continues to do well for you!

I went to TSC a few days ago just to peek at the chicks and i was furious about a 1/4 of them had pastey bottoms. I told the girl that was with them that they needed to be cleaned up and she just looked at me. About 5 mins later another worker walked by and the girls says shes taking off for the night he asked if she tended fully to the chicks and she said yup i gave them food and water. I couldnt believe it. SO as i was paying for my items i told the girl at the register about it. But who knows if they did anything about. I was so sad all night thinking of those poor babies. It makes me not wanna shop there any more and im there a lot. So I really hope that girl spoke up to a manager or someone and the chicks were tended to.

*Im glad you saved your little fluff ball and that manager handled it well*

Last edited:
(wing feathers indicate that she is a pullet) hmm what is this secret and what types does it work on?

Congrats on the new chicky and for saving her life. You did the right thing and so did that manager.

Back
Top Bottom