1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UNEXPECTED RABBIT BABIES! Mom took all 6!! *PICS PG 3*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeaucamom, May 3, 2008.

1. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    One of our rabbits just gave birth to eight kits, and then tried to eat them. We have them in a brooder type thing with a heat lamp over it in the family room. She had to have given birth in the last hour, and has not fed them or pulled any hair. We have separated the kits from the mother because of the attempted cannibalism. Mom is on the way to get some kitten milk replacement, but other than that we are totally clueless! Please help!

(this is ChicknThief, not jeuca, forgot to log out)

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. Homegroanacres

Homegroanacres Chillin w/the Ice in my Glass

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    You are doing just about the only think you can. :eek:)

Keep them warm and try to bottle feed them.

3. Homegroanacres

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    Quote:

4. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    guitartists, THANK YOU. Those links were quite helpful. Mom got back with the kitten milk replacer and we have tried bottle feeding them. I think we managed to get a few drops into each kit, but they kept resisting the baby nipple. Mom is looking up animal rescues to see if anyone can take them off of our hands, or at least give us some information on how to better do this. Book knowledge is one thing, doing it is another.

Man they are cute. We are pretty sure that my male Jack got the mother through the wires of the cage, because they have only been out together once by mistake, and it was only for about 10 seconds. They did do the "bunny boogie", but we were sure it hadn't taken because they were together for so short a time. [​IMG]

In any case, we have eight kits that we know nothing about! LOL

Anyone in Cali want rabbits!?

5. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Here are some pics for those who want to see some rabbit kits. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    OMG! They're so tiny and cute..... I hope they all make it! Precious little creatures [​IMG]

7. Homegroanacres

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    It takes a whole lot shorter than 10 sec
    blink and you missed it.

8. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I use to just hold the mother and place the kits to nurse. Do you have another rabbit with kits? You could try to give them to another mother?

9. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

did she make a nest for them?????? out of hair.. if she did.. then just take the hair and put it over them... it will keep them warm and comfertable... you might have to use a plastic surenge to feed.. hope all goes well :0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by