Unexpected surprise !!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrslb333, Aug 15, 2010.

1. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Hiya,
    I had 2 eggs out of 6 polish eggs that were still viable at lock down 1 looked really good the other a bit questionable as I could see a bit of veining but not much else. 1 hatched on the night of day 20 (the good looking one) but when I came down in the morning it had sadly died [​IMG]
    So I left the 1 remaining egg in the incubator and hoped it would hatch ok. By day 23 I finally called it quits as there was no rocking or pipping I decided to open it and see if there was an obvious cause so I pipped through the shell and the air cell and to my horror it was moving, so I wrapped it in wet kitchen towel and put it back in the incubator hoping for the best but kicking myself thinking I'd probably murdered the little baby.
    12 hours passed I had the humidity raised as high as I could get it but the little one just wasn't budging so I decided to help it. When I got further in it was positioned the wrong way round and I couldn't see any yolk left so I quickly slipped it out wiped it down and was rushing to get it back in the incubator when I noticed something else inside the remaining shell as it wasn't moving I expected it to be some sort of decaying foetus twin that hadn't made it so I got my daughter to put the other one in the incubator and set about opening the rest out of sheer morbid curiosity. Then I noticed some very minor movements I wasn't sure if it was the baby moving or me peeling back the membrane making it move but sure enough number two was out. I put it straight back in the incubator not holding out much hope as it looked very weak, but when I checked later on both were looking pretty good, cheeping away and stumbling all over.
    This was my first time with polish eggs and some looked oddly shaped, this was maybe one of the larger of the 6 but nothing that seemed out of the ordinary they were from Ebay so I'd not really seen any before. I only did a quick candle with these eggs as my incubator was struggling to keep up the temperature so if I saw veins I didn't really look much deeper.
    Any way I finally got my camera back from my brother-in-law so I thought i'd share they are 2 days old now [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Phil and Colin (I figured after my last hatched where all the girly named ones we're roosters I'd see if I get pullets if they had boys names) The smaller one was the second baby he still looks a bit squashed compared to the other.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] So, so cute!!!! [​IMG] Congratulations to you!!! Enjoy!!!! [​IMG]

3. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    [​IMG] Congrats!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  4. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    That is amazing!! [​IMG] Congrats!! [​IMG] They are so cute!

5. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Thats so wonderful!! Congrats:bow:weee:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

6. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Twins?!?!? That's AMAZING!!!

7. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    aaaawwwwwhhhhhh tooo cute!!!

8. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    good thing you helped them or they would have died in the egg

9. WiMoSiFr

WiMoSiFr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Germany
    That's awesome! They are so cute!!! I didn't even know there could be room for 2 to develop in one shell.

10. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    Quote:there is but they need assited hatching or els they have troble getting out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by