Unexplainable Fear of Blue Things!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HappyClucker7, May 27, 2016.

1. HappyClucker7

HappyClucker7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2016
    Hi! This kind of a wierd post, but my chickens have an unexplainable fear ofblue things. They were like this, ever since I got them wich is almost three months ago now. It started with a blue bucket, but then I realised that it is everything blue. They freak out every time. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and what I can do about it.

Thanks!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Ha!! Mine freak out over bright reddish pink!!

I guess if you really want to train them not to be afraid of blue things, you'd try basic desensitizing techniques. Maybe leave something small (blue) in the coop/run with them. Let them avoid it at first, then over the course of several days they will probably pay no attention to it. Then leave something bigger in there - like the blue bucket or something, and do the same thing. Maybe even throw some scratch around the blue object. Maybe wear a blue shirt/jacket and sit there for a while (if they're friendly birds)...feeding them treats. Most likely they will eventually pay no attention to blue.

I just don't wear that color - of course if/when family or friends visit and are wearing that color - the birds still freak...lol.

3. HappyClucker7

HappyClucker7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2016
    Thanks! That's a great idea. I will definatly try it. Hope it works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by