Unfertilized egg that looks fertilized?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by B&B Farms, Feb 25, 2018.

1. B&B Farms

B&B Farms In the Brooder

Nov 29, 2017
    I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum but I just got a message from a family member that buys eggs from us. She supposedly found 4 fertilized eggs in 1 dozen, but the rooster we have is in a cage unable to get to mount the hens and has been like this for 5 months now. My question is what could cause unfertilized eggs to look like they are fertilized and how do I explain this to my family member to reassure her she isn't getting fertilized eggs?

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Does this family member think that meat spots = fertilised, or does she know to look for the bullseye blastoderm?

Chunks of blood in the egg don't mean that it's fertilised, they mean that the hen shed some lining when she laid the egg.

This is a fertilised egg:
    [​IMG]

3. B&B Farms

B&B Farms In the Brooder

Nov 29, 2017
    I am attaching a picture that she posted, I'm not sure if this is a picture of one of the actual eggs she got or if it's just one she found online that looks like the eggs she got.

Attached Files:

4. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    aart likes this.
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    That does not appear fertile

aart and sylviethecochin like this.
  6. B&B Farms

B&B Farms In the Brooder

Nov 29, 2017
    Thank you guys for all your help! After looking at everything I think maybe the spot that is on all eggs might just have been more noticeable on the eggs she thinks are fertilized. Now I just have to convince them of that.. Wish me luck! :lol:

sylviethecochin likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: