Unfinished Coop...but promised pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cheeptrick, Aug 21, 2007.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not bad for a first job...still lots more to do. I keep starting to cut trim and never seem to get it nailed up. Also working on a hinge to close up the eaves with!
    I know...the windows are coming! We are going to put in basement casement windows on the side with the flag on it! That's an original reproduction of a Colonial FLAG too...dyed in the same manner used in 1700's! [​IMG]
    The dog run is temporary...

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    That's great!!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Dawn

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    That is a great house. You'll have to save the plan for me [​IMG]
    Did you make it to cheshire fair? They had some neat critters, but only a small chicken display when i went. I think the 4H birds were coming in for show on the weekend.

4. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Id recommend hardware cloth over that chx wire at the top vent.[​IMG]

5. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    CtlisencedArborist: Do you mean in the eaves? Or on the run? I did staple chicken wire in the eaves...which will be covered shortly with wooden hinged shutters for the winter. My dh made the run top on the fly...he said he wanted to put chicken wire all around the top also to enclose it...but I talked him into building a new run next season! I'll have to get that up soon...when the snow hits...I'm sure I'll have all kinds of critters starving to get in!

Lurky: I didn't make it to the Fair...first time in 6 years. I remember the chicken show...I was fascinated with it. We made this coop 2 different sides that we attached and cut a hole in the larger side. You can tell with the doors open. Still lots more finishing to do and tightening! We are not pleased with the concrete blocks underneath and might pour a foundation or jack it up with a jack and lay in large granite stone steps?? Ahhh...time and money....something I've got a LOT of ya KNOW!! [​IMG]

6. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats ok.....i think it is a million times nicer than what alot of chickens get. It has alot of room inside for in the winter. My little house we are making for my silkies is small and i worry about the winter. I want them to have more room.....guess i will have to bring them in..LOL. I showed my husband your and it gave him a good idea for a covered pen for them. Where did you get the wavy stuff for the roof?

7. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    The wavy stuff is tin sheeting from Depot...you find it near the roofing material. We wanted the fancy green tin roofing...but opted to shave some $$ off the budget. I think it was like 10 or so a sheet! We had to cut it down with a metal cutting diamond blade on our hand saw. The house/coop is 8x10...and run is 6x6 they mostly free range though so I wasn't too worried. Definitely going to have to upgrade the run...its just not enough room for 24 chickens! We were going to make a 12x12 enclosed run next season with wood fence posts and another 30x10 foot open topped fence with the green fence stakes...was thinking about using electic fencing around this!
    We love the black hardware...I'm painting my trim a darker brown/tan than the coop so it has some contrast. Of course the eaves still need some work....I stapled the chicken wire from the inside...its kind of hard to see. I worry that an animal will get up on the roof and try to pry the chicken wire out...
    OK...now I'm rethinking some things!!
    NO eggs yet, lurky; you?

8. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    What do you mean by that???? No eggs? I re-read the post and nothing seems to have been said about eggs. What did that mean? [​IMG]

9. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Nice job and beautiful snow roof. I think the cinder blocks are fine and will serve their purpose. And LOVE the American Flag,I have one at the barn and think I will put a small one up on the pen, great idea and thanks!
    No eggs yet huh??? A couple of my birds around the same age as yours are just starting with little eggs. Only a couple though. It will happen very soon.[​IMG]

10. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    lOOks nice
    Cool flag too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by