Unfinished Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wyandotte103, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Wyandotte103

Wyandotte103 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    My henhouse
    I have an unfinished coop and am getting chickens in a month. please help..........things that need help!

1. Gaps between planks
    2. 1/2 rotted boards
    3. Filthy (even though i pressure washed it)
    4. Broken windows
    5. Money limit-$200! [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Only 1/2 inch hardware cloth will keep out rats and weasels, which kill chickens. So if you are going to cover any spots of your coop with chicken wire don't waste your money (although you will see lots of folks with chicken wire on the coop it can be torn apart by a raccoon instantly and rats/weasels can get through).

For the chicken run, I just use regular fencing since I don't expect it to be predator proof as I close them up at night in the coop.

For your rotted boards, can you replace them with some cedar planking or reg. wood/paint them?

Broken windows- you can cover with a sheet of plastic in a pinch- I don't know if you get bitter winters or not but this will suffice for now until you get some $ or find a window at a garage sale (hey I did once).

You can also just nail on some other boards over your gaps in the planks but be sure to paint everything or treat for wet weather with some kind of paint so it all doesn't rot out on you.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  3. Wyandotte103

Dec 29, 2012
    My henhouse
    Thank you, any other ideas? M going to try it right away

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Chickens need safe shelter, food, and water. Make it safe first, then free of drafts.

Chris

5. Wyandotte103

Dec 29, 2012
    My henhouse
    Thank you muchly!!:)

6. Wyandotte103

Dec 29, 2012
    My henhouse
    Is there anything that you guys recommend to use for bedding or anything else to help me save in a pinch? I need all the help I can to give them the best life and environment. Do you have any tricks of the trade that you could tell me right off of the bat? It would save me some $ and time. Thanks in advance!!

7. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    You should check out using pallet for free lumber to fill gaps and to replace rotten boards. Using a pry bar to take them apart and then the staples in the pallet boards can be cut off quickly with a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. Paint them well and they will look great.

8. Wyandotte103

Dec 29, 2012
    My henhouse
    Thanks

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Do you have a picture of what you're working with? That would help a lot in people advising you. If you're getting chicks, at this time of year they'd be brooded indoors, which will buy you some time finishing your coop. But if they're adult birds, then safe and draft free will be the goal. If you have a drafty structure, wrapping/ screwing in place tarps is the quickest/cheapest way to make your housing draft free. Safety means a closeable pop door and any openings larger than two inches (depending on what type of predators you have in your area) wired over securely...

Oh...if you pressure washed it, that's about as much as you can do - the chickens won't care how pretty it is. When warmer weather hits, you will need to replace rotted boards and better address the gaps - I saw someone already suggested getting free pallets and using that wood as battens to overlap the gaps.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  10. Wyandotte103

Dec 29, 2012
    My henhouse
    My dad and I decided that we would keep them in his (heated floor!!) shop. When it gets warmer, we will move them to the coop. When it warms up here (noon) I will take a picture of the coop. What my dad and I plan to do is this. 1. Insulate it
    2. Cover the whole thing in plywood
    3. ( very accited for this!!) going to cut 5-5 holes in the wall so we can mount the nesting boxes on them and I can reach through the holes and gather eggs. Of course o will put a flap of burlap on them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by