1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unfit mother

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debbee1010, Jun 21, 2008.

1. debbee1010

debbee1010 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2008
    I have a hen that has been sitting on eggs for the first time and after hatching her first chick she tried to kill it. I removed it and waited for next egg to hatch and she did the same thing. What would make her not want her chicks after all that hard work?

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG]

Maybe it made her mad doing all that work and she had enough.... [​IMG]

No just kidding hens can be unpredictible sometimes

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Thats fustrating. I have a hen thats been sitting for the 21 days. Her chicks started to hatch this morning. She deceided to get off the nest right when they needed her the most. Shes been off for a hour now. I took her chicks and hatching eggs and gave them to another hen. The new hen is talking to the new babies. A success.
    Its her second time and she has done this before. I'll just use her for a hatcher. [​IMG]

4. debbee1010

debbee1010 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2008
    Great ideal! I was thinking about what seasonings to use when I fried her [​IMG] She is a Brahmas, but I was able to give her chicks to a Silkie, they are such great mothers. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by