Unforeseen issues with pvc waterer with bucket reservoir?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by matimeo, Sep 10, 2010.

1. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    So I'm setting up a auto watering system with a five gallon bucket, with pvc pipe coming out the bottom that feeds nipple waterers. The bucket has a lid on it to keep stuff from falling inside, and a small hole in the side near the top for re-filling. The way I'm setting it up makes it pretty hard to take apart once it is in place. I'm wondering if I am going to have issues with algae or the like accumulating in the bucket if I'm not able to tip it over and rinse it out periodically. If it makes any difference, I live in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks for the help! This website has been a lifesaver as I've been building my coop and making plans for carefree (haha) chicken raising.

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Matimeo, we were just discussing this in an adjacent thread, it seems that under certain conditions enough light can penetrate the white plastic of a bucket and grow algae. That was something I did not anticipate. I have a cooler reservoir with pvc pipe and nipples in the coop and have had zero issues with it. I removed it last month to wash out and inspect (after about 6 months) and it was squeaky-clean inside.

3. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Make sure you bleach the bucket before and if you use ACV in it it will take a bit before it turns green you can buy ozine to put in it or use a little bleach in the water not with the ACV though that's never a good thing....

4. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks for the info. Just saw the other thread. They beat me to it by an hour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by