Unfortunately, No Pictures

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
My crazy, California White hen decided to fly out of the pen to see what DH and I were doing in the yard (watering the fruit trees). Just up and over as if the fence weren't even there.

I filled the feeder but she didn't go back in.

I gave them some scratch grain (chicken candy), but she didn't go back in.

DH and I started a pincer movement to corner her against the fence when she suddenly squatted so I could pick her up and carry her back into the pen.

It made me smile because her instincts betrayed her and I was able to put her back into the safety of the electric net without the major, slow-motion chase scene normally required.

If she is very flighty, consider clipping some wing feathers. Just the flight feathers, and only one wing will usually do. I have done such in the past when I would bring in new adult chickens into my coop/run. Usually just one time service was all that was needed. I did not want chickens to fly away from my house and not know where to return. When feathers grew back, chickens were well homeset, and never wandered away very far.
I LUV, :love the California Whites. Wish I had one in my flock. (I keep chickens as pets) They are a prettier version of the White Leghorn.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

She will soon be moving to a big, open air coop that will put an end to her wandering ways.

I have considered clipping her wings, but decided against putting her through the stress since she hates being handled. She flies out. If we're home and see it we round her up and she flies back over the fence when we get close.

I presume she goes out and back in again when we're away. I have accepted the fact that I might lose her because of this and only really mind when she leads the others out.

I wouldn't want an entire flock of California Whites, but she's the most entertaining chicken I have.

Back
Top Bottom