UNFRIENDLY CHICKS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MaranDude, May 23, 2008.

1. MaranDude

MaranDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    On my Computer
    I think that I might be doing something wrong because all of the chickens I've had so far have not thoroughly liked me. So what should I do with my chicks to make them comfortable with me holding them and being close to them?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Most chicks will not come running to you ... they will go running away from you. You just need to always be very gentle with them while catching them and then hold them gently (never, never squeeze even to stop them from jumping out of your hands) as they can be injured so easily.

It takes lots of time while they are growing up to get them to be friendly when they are adults.

Don't give up ... keep on lovin em!

3. kisat

kisat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    Bribe them. If they see either food or treats come from your hand, then they will associate you with good things. Then, whether you are giving them food or treats, or nothing at all, they will come running [​IMG]

Work with them. Place your hand on the ground and just leave it there for a few minutes whenever you can manage it and don't try and pick them up. As they get comfortable with that, then kinda move your hand over near the chest and encourage (gently of course) them to step on to your hand, or just touch them with your fingers, anything that gets them used to your hand near them and moving. Mine are obsessed with the crevices in my fingers and my fingernails so I let them just wander all over my hands pecking at the things they want investigate and now I find it hard to do anything in their cage since they always want check out the fingers and nails [​IMG]

And I agree with chirpy. Give it time, they'll come around. Just takes patience.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Kisat - I can't believe I forgot to mention the all important food bribes...

5. kisat

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    I know huh? What makes the world go around for any animal! [​IMG]

6. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    Quote:i have to completely agree!! a few weeks ago i thought my chicks hated me! well after taking some time (and alot of bribes!!) they still dont run over to me,but do not go in my yard saying "here chicky,chicky" unless you have food!! they will follow me and wait for treats and when i pick them up,they calm down pretty easily. take these guys advise, it works!!!

7. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Ha Kisat, your chicks must still be quite young...just wait; after awhile that exporation of your finger crevices and nails will begin to hurt as their pecks strengthen. I still offer my chicks food from my hand at 13 weeks, but now I don't cup so much as put it in my palm and spread my finger slightly...otherwise it can get quite brutal!

MaranDude, my chicks were always running from me when I first put my hand in the brooder. If I put food in it they would come eat, but never liked being picked up. I didn't have the time to hold all 29 on a daily basis, so I did what I could and tried my best to help them relate to me as a positive force; still they ran from my hands. Now, they free range in my yard and come running when I go outside. When I'm working they are always close by if not under foot. They still aren't thrilled with being picked up, but once up they generally settle in. I think they just need time to get used to you, even if it takes most of their chickhood.

8. kisat

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    hehe - That's what I'm thinking. Though, my BO outside loves to do the same and yes, I've got plenty of scars from her, but still I let her. Don't know what the fun is since I don't react when she does it, but she seems to think .. bare skin? Get it! [​IMG] Legs, hands, she don't care. She took a good bite of my moms toe the other day because she was wearing flip flops. Why? Who knows.

Oh and yes, they are only 3 weeks right now [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  9. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    I made the mistake of walking into the back yard barefoot today, of course I was swarmed by the chickens and they quickly went for my feet. OUCH!

10. kisat

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    Yikes! I did that the very same night my mom got her foot bit. I'd forgotten and then ended up doing this funky leg dance, trying to keep my hen from biting mine! I was trying to figure it out ... I don't know, maybe they think they're worms or something?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by