Unfriendly Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SilkieBantams, Oct 7, 2011.

1. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Some weeks ago I had bought 4 Silkies and 2 Easter Eggers from a feed store in my town. I give them chick feed and fresh water daily. They seem to only come when I give them food and fresh water but when I try to hold or pet them they run off from my hand but they occasionally peck at my hand when I give them fresh water and food to them. Do my chicks hate me or something? I wish they were friendly but they don't seem to be.

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Pick them up and snuggle them, they'll learn!

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Most of my chicks have gone through the "Feed me, water me, go away" stage. Spend time playing with them and hand feed them a bit. They will come around. I kind of wish my birds didn't like me so much. You know how hard it is to walk across the yard with 7 roos under your feet? [​IMG]

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    That is a common chick behavior. The should settle down when they get closer to point of lay. [​IMG]

5. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Thanks! I'll be spending tome with them.

6. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Same thing happens here! They've all acted like I'm coming to kill them when they're little chicks. They'll get friendlier as they grow (assuming you aren't doing anything to freak them out! lol). None of my current adults were friendly and cuddly as chicks, but now they all come running as soon as I walk out the door. It's all about treats and food with them! [​IMG]

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Remember, they came from a trough or a brooder that everyone in the store would poke their fingers into.
    Not the best start of life, I would feel afraid of humans if that happened to me...

8. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    Quote:x2

9. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I like to lower my hand slowly holding a treat and they will slowly come up and soon they are jumping around on my arm like crazy - just move slow [​IMG]

10. motochick

motochick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Quote:aw, chickie snuggles! I pick them up (slowly) just cuz I can't resist. Guess they'll get to the adolesent stage of "just feed me" soon enough.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by