Ungentlemanly Rooster - PICS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhodiegal, Sep 3, 2009.

1. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    I am fed up with my Turken rooster (who was supposed to be a pullet). He attacks the hens. He won't let them near the food container and eats it himself. He will spot either my Marans, BO or Brabanter hen from 30 feet away - run as fast as he can at them and just attacks them. I also have a laid back Light Brahma rooster who is actually the alpha roo. He tries desperately to help out the hens when they are being attacked by the Turken, but it is a big job. Does anyone else have experience with a rooster that is mean to his own hens?
    [​IMG]
    The Turken
    [​IMG]
    Light Brahma (Gandalf) who has to keep the Turken in check
    [​IMG]
    BO Pullet (Fluffy Poof) who gets attacked
    [​IMG]
    Brabanter pullet (Princess Leah) who also gets attacked

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    If you only have two hens, then one rooster is more than enough. Personally, I would rehome or otherwise deal with Mr. Turken.

3. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    If you are not willing to get rid of him, which is what I would do.... Try seperating him for a few days, out of sight and sound of the other birds. When he comes back, he will be at he bottom, and have to work his way back up. This works with bossy hens, dont know if it will help with a roo.

The other thought is to take them all somewhere together in a smallish cage. for the whole day. I suggest this, cause I have noticed, when I take some unrully birds to a swap, and they spend a shared day of fright and uncertainty, when they come back they are all cowed and buddy buddy! Seems to change the personality of some of them completely! I dont get it, but I like it!

I dont know if this is an option for you or not, but it may work.

Personally, soundlike one too many roosters in the hen house, and not enough hens? Good reason to get more hens? lol

Good Luck!

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Mr. Turken is digging his own grave.

5. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicken soup works pretty good.

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    time for freezer camp, bad attitudes are passed down to offspring and you dont want others like him.

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

If Mr. Turken was at my house this is what I would do:

When I notice him getting ready to attack a hen - chase him around, catch him if you can and hold him for awhile.

If he is attacking a hen, attack him back - hose him down with water if you cannot get to him readily.

When he comes in to eat, DO NOT let him near the food/treats until the others are eating.

He has no manners and needs a human to teach him. You need to become his worst nightmare until his attitude changes. I do not recommend kicking or actually hurting him. Chasing, hosing him down, and picking him up (holding like a football under your arm or upside down by his feet) all are great ways to let the roo know you are boss.

8. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    I have 12 hens that are with the two roosters. I keep the banties away from the standard chickens mostly out of fear of the Turken killing one of them. He picks on those three hens the most (which must be low on the totem?). I am thinking of getting rid of him (though I feel bad pawning him off on someone else). Thanks for the suggestions.

I have chased him and popped him. Today I was hand feeding a couple hens and he came marching up like he was going to attack the hens, well I had a gardening spade, so I held it up to him to keep him away - he was very persistant. Yep - I am thinking I need to get rid of him - I most definately do not want offspring like him.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  9. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I dunno.. I think I'd lock him up inside of the area... not out of sight.

He could spend a few days or a couple WEEKS! seeing how it's "supposed" to be, how your SUPPOSED to treat the hens... meanwhile get an attitude adjustment as low man on the totem pole or pecking order.

10. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I have a mean roo so I seperated him in his own little pen..now my buff cochin is acting broody so I been thinking of letting him back in with the hens..only maybe I dont want his behaviors passed down to next generation so ? Any ways I heard its not good to hold them upside down! But I use a spray bottle of water when he tries to flog me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by