Unhappy Chick, Help PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenarmy, Feb 1, 2012.

1. chickenarmy

chickenarmy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2011
    Our chick has a deformed joint in its leg and it goes outwards a bit instead of forwards.
    Today it was trying really hard to walk with one leg and cheeping its poor head off. It fell into the waterer,
    and since it can't stand up it gets trampled a lot by the other chicks. [except our little tiny one]
    If I take him out he gets awfully lonesome. I'm not sure what to do, any help would be great!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. tamberlin

tamberlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    Check the forums for Spraddleleg or spraddle foot? - I think you can make a splint with a bandaid and fix this problem.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  4. chickenarmy

Oct 19, 2011
    The knee joint is going outward a little. I just want the poor thing to be happy.

5. chickenarmy

Oct 19, 2011
    P.S. I forgot to add it was born this way, it's only a few days old.

6. chickenarmy

Oct 19, 2011
    OH!!!!!!! I just checked on the poor bird. He's wet and sad.[​IMG] Oh, it makes me sad to see the other chicks
    walk all over him. Has this happened to anyone else before? I don't think I want to do anything to its leg,
    but I just want to know what I can do to make the poor thing a little happier.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, I've had it happen and it did not have a happy ending. See here, maybe it will help you with your decision.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/624005/2-major-issues/0_50

To keep it from getting trampled, you can put it in a kleenex box with the top cut off and a paper towel in the bottom. Then it can hear the others in the brooder, but not get trampled. You need to give it food/water if you go this route though.

Good luck. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by