Unhappy Chicken

Cath1

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 30, 2012
Hi, one of my bantams (blue pencil wyandotte) looks a bit sad and is standing hunched up, she is still following the others around and will still take corn and meal worms from your hand but she is not scratching around the garden as usual. They have a small drop of apple vinegar in their water and have layers pellets (as well as anything they ransack from the garden) Does anyone have any suggestions ?

She is eating if you offer her food and is pecking a bit from the ground and she is drinking she is around 24 weeks, I have had her 8 weeks and she (nor have any of them) laid yet. I first noticed yesterday she was looking a bit sad and the poo in the coop was watery where she roosts (we are in the UK and the weather has been constantly raining and about 5C - about 40oF for the last week and the wind is strong and cold) enough to make anyone sad ! She roosted OK last night and came out this morning with the others she just seems lacking in enthusiasm and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions ?

Bring her in the house, warm her up, give her vitamin enriched water and high energy foods. Check her for external parasites [lice/mites] Is she thin? She has vague symptoms right now, so keeping a close eye on her will help alot [plus the dry warmth of the house] .
Read the sticky on the top of this emergency link and answer all the quesations to give us peeps a better look at your hen....:)

Thanks, she seems a little bit better today, she came out with the others this morning and is drinking (water has apple cider vinegar in it and fresh every day) and I gave her some meal worms and sweetcorn which she has eaten with interest! Poo is still runny but her tail was back up and is currently in the flowerbeds with the others. She is not thin and her feather condition has not changed. She is the brown and blue one in the photo. I will keep up the protein foods and start some vitamins and let you know - thanks again. (as she was fine the day before maybe I panicked too early but I know usually when they look ill they are very ill)
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom