Unhappy chook with crusty eye

calio79

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 1, 2014
Hi all, I'm new to the forum although I have been referring to BYC on FB and via website for months now. I love reading all the forum posts, so many knowledgeable, helpful people out there!

We live in Queensland, Australia and a week ago I forgot to close the door to my chook pen :( - ONLY night I haven't done it! A python got in, sucked on one of my girls and then must've realised she was too big for him and regurgitated and left. The others escaped thank goodness, but I noticed the next day that my girl Esme was limping. I have kept an eye on her and figured she must've hurt her leg in the panic to get away from the snakey wake-up call. Today I have noticed that she has one eye closed and on closer inspection it was crusty and reddened around and inside the eye. I have also noticed that she has spent a lot of time laying down while Rudy the rooster pecks around beside. When they went to bed I cleaned her eye with a betadine (iodine) solution on a cotton wool ball in the hope that it's just an eye infection and not something more serious.

This is the most ill-fated bunch of chooks I have ever had - originally I had 4 platinum sussex and one sussex. 2 of the chicks died before I even got them home and the plain sussex (Lavagirl) died on Xmas day. She was the healthiest of the lot, but I noticed on that day that she was sitting down a lot too..... what is going on with these girls? No other respiratory snuffley secretions and eating and drinking normally. She is still only young and hasn't started laying yet. Is it possible that she got so stressed from the snake attack that she is making herself sick or does it sound like something 'disease-ish'? Sorry for the long-winded story, just wanted to give some background info. Also, I have never had platinum sussex before, usually RIR or Isa Browns - they seem to be a very sturdy and not so fretful chook.

Thanks for any help!
Cali

Welcome to BYC. I wouldn't use betadine in the eye, but use saline instead. An inflamed and crusty eye point to conjunctivitis, which is one of the many signs of respiratory infection, although a pecked eye might also be possible.Chickens that sit around a lot may be a symptom of Mareks disease if they are limping, having balance problems, or have trouble walking. Do they ever look puffed up when they are sitting around? These chickens do seem to be a weaker lot. I hope you can figure out what is going on.

Hi and thanks so much for your reply. I think she does look a bit puffed up when she's sitting down - kind of like she's dust bathing. I know birds in general put on a good show when they are ill so maybe it is worse than I thought. I am worried now - I am assuming this means that Rudy will probably get it or already be carrying it if it is Marek's. He seems fine though and this morning Esme is still having a good scratch around. I will just have to wait and see.

One more question then - I was going to get some more chooks as we were hoping for eggs by now, and was just looking at getting some Australorp or Isa Browns - I'm not sure if you're familiar with them over in the US? But they are just very friendly and great layers and I've never had a problem with them. Anyway, I am now worried if it is a disease that the coop will be 'infected'. Is there any way to stop the new flock from getting the same? I guess vaccination as I have read on other posts.

I have ISA browns and australorps also, and they are very good foragers and layers. Mareks vaccine is something I would always recommend, and if it turns out that there is a respiratory infection, you can always vaccinate for that if you get her tested. MG and infectious bronchitis are both fairly common. Are these two girls isolated? I would probably do that. With MG, the disease is gone in a few days after cleaning and disinfection, but Mareks will be on your property at least 7 years or longer, so always vaccinate.

Oh my goodness! 7 years is a long time! So yes, I will definitely vaccinate when I bring more chooks, thank you for letting me know that.

I have just enquired about adopting some ex battery hens and I know that they will have been vaccinated as chicks so hopefully they will be safe.

On the upside, Esme is looking much better today. Her eye is still a bit sore but it's open today and she seems to be able to see with it, and not laying down as much. Fingers crossed!

Many thanks for all your help
Cali

Back
Top Bottom