Unhappy Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsmartin2001, Nov 1, 2007.

1. mrsmartin2001

mrsmartin2001 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2007
    Virginia
    :mad:I have 2 roosters and they just can't seem to get along, I originally thought the youngest rooster was a hen till just a week ago when I first heard it crow:p ever since then I notice it's like they hate eachother. Is there anything I can do? or is this just a normal behavior between 2 roosters?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Roosters will fight. If they are fighting now it will only get worse. You can separate them or get rid of one or both. Sorry. We culled and processed ours.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Its time to seperate them.

4. mrsmartin2001

mrsmartin2001 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2007
    Virginia
    Oh man I was hopeing there was some way around haveing to seperate them.[​IMG]

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:...Unless you want to have two seperate flocks with two seperate pens.

6. Itsme

Itsme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    NW Wisconsin
    I have two roosters with 16 hens.
    They free range all day and each rooster has some hens with him....sometimes they go seperate ways often times they are all together.
    For the most part they get along but Sarg is dominant over Red and when it is time to go to bed at night Sarg will usually chase Red around for about a half a minute just so he knows...lol, then all is well.
    They actually seem to work together through out the day managing their gals.
    Don't know if this info helps you or not. I like having both my boys.....maybe I got lucky and this isn't the norm?

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I can't get mine to get along either...I luckily have two separate units in my henhouse so I can keep the breeds separated.....mine try to kill each other all the time...lots of blood...can't take that...I do keep a chicken tractor for Spring, Summer and Fall that I can put an extra rooster in but that doesn't work for winter when he needs warmth with the other hens.....Growing out a third rooster at the moment...atleast he is still young enough the older fellow doesn't mind him...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by