unharmed My chickens got in with my dogs

pigeonguy

Songster
11 Years
Dec 10, 2008
Northwest Illinois
For about three days my chickens have found a new way into my dog kennel. Their run is right beside my chicken run. My yellow lab I trusted completely she is so gentle and lazy. I also have a blood hound though a rescue I've had for a year. 11 months old when I got her. Any way that's the one I worried about. I was outside for the first time when they breached the fence Dixie that's the blood hound ran towards them. I yelled NO the first command I teach all my pets not just dogs. Well to my amazement she stopped looked at them walked over about three feet away again I said No she stopped and smelled turned and walked away.
I was like WOW better get that fence fixed. I found a hole fixed it but the next day it happened again. I came outside and they were in the kennel and Dixie was chasing them. I yelled Dixie no she stopped and walked away. I was amazed. Found another hole fixed it and thought hope that's it. Then today I was outside visiting with a friend and 4 chickens flew over the 6 ft fence. My buddy said your chickens just got in with your dog. I looked over and Dixie was still setting down. Then one of the chickens walked boldly up to Dixie and started scratching the ground right in front of her. She never moved. I said to my friend how cool is that. He said I can't believe her being a blood hound she didn't eat that chicken. I said me ether so I left the chickens in there for about a half hour and then got them out.
I think shes going to be all right. She is fed well though a three pound coffee can of dog food and a quarter to a half can sweet 16 I feed sweet 16 to everything even the cats. I believe it keeps them really healthy. Anyway Dixie was skin and bones when I got her and now her ribs don't show and she has a nice waste line. Just a beautiful dog. Hope this behavior continues. All I can say is WOW.
Sky the lab slept threw the whole thing till I walked in to get the chickens then out she came looked around as if to say again jeez. Man is she lazy can't even get her to fetch a ball. Tried and tried to teach her to but when she came to me and took my hand walked me to the ball and sat down I new she was smart and was not going to do anything she did not want to. Good dog just lazy don't even wake up when I get home from work. I go make sure she is ok by hollering her name sometimes 2 or 3 times before she raises her head looks at me like what ya that's what I thought and goes back to sleep while Dixie and me play fetch.
The dog kennel is 24 x 50 ft.

Last edited:
My dogs have hadthe chickens come into their area.I think my min pin would go for them if the other made a move.Pack thing.

Today I let the chickens out at 9:00 and then put on my Sundays best. At 10:00 when I went back out 2 of the chickens were in with the dogs. Well I'm not going to deal with it with my Sunday cloths on so off we went. We just got home 51/2 hours later and they were all sitting together chickens and dogs. All I can say is how about that.

Put up poultry netting tonight in an effort to keep them in. Because they were back in with the dogs today not that its a big deal. Just would like each to stay were I want them not just do as they please.

Bird netting and plastic fencing kept my birds in place.Not sure such a loose structure would help you,but I would try cheap before expensive by covering the run and the kennel.Glad to read your dogs tolerate them.

I was really nervous aout what might happen if my old dog (Golden) got in amongst the chickens. I should have considered the nature of my dog; she's a wuss. Then we were concerned with our daughter's dog (mixed mutt), who we often dog-sit when necessary, which is several times a week. The chickens simply don't react when one of these dog's are around, but if another dog comes into the yard they chickens raise a ruckus and make a bee-line for he coop.

They look comical actually, of of their roosts in right in front of a window, so they give the appearance of running for cover then peeking out to see if the coast is clear! I built their run to be as predator resistant as possible and, of course, the coop only opens into the run, so only the most determined critter is going to get inside of the coop. I guess there's only so much you can do to prevent disasters, and after that it's up to luck?

Glad you can trust your dogs. Found out today that I can't . My usually well-behaved Airedale came out with my while I checked on our flock that was free-ranging at the time. She got ahold of my favorite hen, Adele, before I knew it. Luckily Adele has a big, fluffy tail and that is all the Airedale got ahold of before I could break it up. I'll definitely have to be more careful in the future. Our Cairn acts like they aren't even there. Crazy.

Glad you can trust your dogs. Found out today that I can't . My usually well-behaved Airedale came out with my while I checked on our flock that was free-ranging at the time. She got ahold of my favorite hen, Adele, before I knew it. Luckily Adele has a big, fluffy tail and that is all the Airedale got ahold of before I could break it up. I'll definitely have to be more careful in the future. Our Cairn acts like they aren't even there. Crazy.
I am glad I did not have to deal with that bit If I did the airedale would be wearing a cage type muzzle and going out with me to see the chickens all the time. Rope type training is good but a muzzle lets the chickens get right up close and personal.
Muzzle on for a week when around chickens. Make sure this is every day. No more than 15 minutes to a half hour.
Next week rope no muzzle around chickens slightest aggression toward birds . Pull dog in on rope don't say a word just bring dog to you and put muzzle on let dog lead out rope to be with them again.
Try again next day. same routine.
Not saying anything helps the dog relate the muzzle to the chickens being attacked better. The muzzle is more for humiliation than anything. It does also protect the birds.

Back
Top Bottom