unhatched baby chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enmim, Jun 27, 2008.

1. enmim

enmim Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Templeton CA
    Please help I have two unhatched eggs that I candled and they are alive and peeping. The mother hen has already hatched 13 chicks yesterday and the day before and has moved herself and the babies off the nest leaving these two alone. I put a heat lamp on them but do not want to overheat them. Should I break an air hole or help them in any way?

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Try to keep them at 100 degrees and keep the humidity high.

If you had an incubator or another setting hen that would be best. If not try an aqaurium or cooler. Don't close it up, they do need air. Put in a pan of water with a sponge in it to keep the humidity up. If they hatch, wait till they dry and give them to the hen at night.

Matt

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    In a pinch you can use your oven as a makeshift incubator. Turn it as low as it will go...usually it will be about 100 degrees but put a thermometer in to check. Put a pan of water in it. Lay a folded towel on the rack and lay the eggs on it. Leave the door propped open about 2-3 inches for ventilation and to help control the temp.

I think they'll probably hatch if the conditions are good. They may be some of the last eggs layed and may need another 12-24 hours.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  4. enmim

enmim Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Templeton CA
    well so far I've left them in the brood box hoping the hen would sit on them if they hatched, but I'm heating the oven and thinking I'm going to move them there. One has now poked it's air hole and is still peeping away. The hen is very protective when I start to mess with them, rushing and attacking my hand, I just don't know why she wont sit on them. My biggest fear is the temp which moving them to the oven I think would help alleviate, but I don't know how much I really need to intervene.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    She doesn't want them, but she doesn't want YOU to have them!!

Tell her she can't have it both ways. Either she has to sit on them or they go with you!! As evening fall the temps will be way out of hatching range.

6. enmim

enmim Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Templeton CA
    I moved them to the oven and there is alot of peeping, so I think they are happy with the heat. Hopefully they will hatch and all will be well and I can put them back under the hen tonight.

7. enmim

enmim Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Templeton CA
    One of the one's from the oven is really making progress at getting out.

8. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Keep posting![​IMG]

9. enmim

enmim Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Templeton CA
    The chick that has been making good progress continues to do so. The other has not been seen, but peeping can still be heard. If anyone has a Jenn-Air dual range built in oven take note, they make a pretty good incubator!

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    YEAH!!!!! I had a hatch at 8:00 pm tonight too!! Go babies...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by