Unheard of breed of chicken.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Papa Rooster, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Papa Rooster

Papa Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    A friend of mine has recently bought a breed of chickens that he calls hennys. He says they are from britain and they usually dont come through the chicken auctions that we go 2 every week. he bought them for a pretty good price. he says they are a old fighting breed that was banned by some people because the rooster looks just like the hen and the other rooster wont fight back, hence the name. ive tried finding them on the internet but cant. can any1 tell me more about them.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Are you thinking of the sebright? Because the males genetically have the soft, fluffy 'hen feathers' rather than sickle feathers in other roosters.

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    He's talking about Henny Gamefowl. I don't know anything about them personally, but there are several folks on here who do. Try posting in one of the Game breed threads. [​IMG]

4. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Quote:I would also include "jenny gamefowl" in the thread title. That way you get the right people paying attention to educate all of us about something ne.

5. Papa Rooster

Nov 15, 2010
    jenny?

6. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think they meant "henny"

7. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Hennies are simply a genetic quirk that some families of game fowl carry, that the cocks come henny feathered. It isn't that uncommon. I can't tell u much about them as I don't keep hennies but I know several ppl they do, they just don't frequent this board. Ask this on the American game thread, u will get more info there

8. Papa Rooster

Nov 15, 2010
    i dont care about getting them because i dont fight chickens. i have a seperate coop filled with game chickens and hens but when they hatch them out i usually just get rid of them except about 8. depending on the gender and size will i keep them after 5 months. it was just a new thing that ive never seen before and i wanted 2 know if they were good or not.

9. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Normally I would post the information, but this forum would probably delete my post because them being a gamefowl breed they do have some fighting conversation in the history of them. So, I encourage you to google "Ultimatefowl Wikipedia" go to "Game fowl breeds" and look for the page "Hennies". Without my post getting deleted, it is the only way I can think of passing along the info.

That page probably contains about all of the info you will find on hennies, they are a rare fowl typically and not many people know very much on them I don't believe.

God bless,
    Daniel.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Spelled Hennie - Search google for Hennie Gamefowl [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by