Unhulled Barley

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by M.sue, Dec 4, 2011.

1. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Was wonder if any Southern State BYC Members would know where to get unhulled barley...100 lbs.? My nephew lives in Texas, just outside of Austin and has been trying to locate some for his beer making hobby. Apparently no one has it or grows it around him. Thought maybe someone would know of a rancher/farmer that handled it or where to even look. He knows he might have to drive a bit to get it. Any info would greatly be appreciated.....Thank You!

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    you can probably get it from Austin homebrew. they sell up to 40 lb. I think, so he'd have to buy two or so of them. I don't know of any other place you can get that much unmilled barley except from Whole Foods. We use rye for out mushroom farm and we buy tons of it from whole foods because it's the cheapest (surprisingly!)

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I would think that any bag of barley you purchase at a feed store will not be hulled.

4. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Thanks for the info. I'll let him know. He specifically stated that it needs to be unhulled. Must be important to the brewing process.....don't know, I never brewed beer before. lol I appreciated your quick replies!!

5. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I think the hull may contain yeast needed for the beer-making process. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by