Unidentifiable masses laid by our hen

MariLitz

Hatching
Apr 19, 2021
One of our hens, a 2 year old sexlink, has a few issues and we have been at a loss to diagnose. She was a rockstar layer for about a year then late last summer she laid a few soft shell eggs then she stopped laying all together all the while she developed a poopy butt. We have soaked and cleaned her a few times but it comes back. She has not started laying this spring when the rest of the flock has. She has been going to the nesting box and hanging out a few times a week but I’ve never seen anything come of it. Then today after she was up there I found some poop and these three small masses that I can not identify. They look a lot like canelli beans and are about that size. Any ideas? I’ve been reading through many forums and looked at lots of gross pictures today in search of similar symptoms but so far no luck. Has anyone else had a chicken produce something like this? We have not noticed any change in behavior or diet in the last 6 months. Still eats, drinks, and hangs out with the other ladies.
I added a picture of one of them cut in half. They are about 3/4 inches long.
03DA2A08-0E9F-4387-9D85-CE4C594E18F2.jpeg

B61D2FB8-028B-4CF4-B8E8-335BDDAE8008.jpeg

Attachments

• 4A4B86C3-4CC3-4711-80D6-76A4B5BF64B5.jpeg
    4A4B86C3-4CC3-4711-80D6-76A4B5BF64B5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thanks for the picture.

They look like small lash eggs to me.
You will be asked to cut at least the bigger one in half and post a pic. Extra gross but helps a lot with solving the mystery.

@Eggcessive, @azygous, @Wyorp Rock If any of you are available can you take a look please.
Picture added. Had to pull it from the yard waste bin so it has a little poo on the outside.

Yes, I agree that looks like lash material or a caseous mass of pus from salpingitis. You can use amoxicillin or Fish Mox from a feed store or online, to help treat it. Antibiotics may or may not help once lash egg material is seen. Here is some reading about it:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Thank you all for the help. I’m sure you field questions like this all day long! I was really hoping this wasn’t the case since the masses were smaller than what is was seeing pictures of online. We will try antibiotics to see if she makes it through. I am having trouble telling from other sites if this is contagious. We currently have 3 other hens who seem fine and we were planning to get a few chicks to add to the flock.

I agree with the lash egg diagnosis.. normally by the time they lay these, they are very sick inside. Also called Salpingitis, it is a staph infection of the oviduct and ovaries. The staph infection attacks the ovaries, destroying their ability to produce eggs properly. Do not touch the lash eggs with your bare hands as you can get sick from it as well. Your hen would need antibiotics or else she’ll slowly decline and become worse and worse, until death. She’ll most likely never lay again, lay less or always have oddly shaped eggs for the rest of her life. You can learn more about Salpingitis (Lash Egg), here: https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Back
Top Bottom