Unidentified duck foot crusty infection, seeking advice

Dr_Eyeball

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2023
Hi. I have recently bought 3 Muscovy ducklings about 10 days ago.
(I also have 2 chickens and have had more of both in the past.)

The situation:
  • The ducklings are roughly 4, 6 & 8 weeks old. The oldest is also significantly larger, so I suspect it is a drake.
  • The oldest has some sort of foot infection and possibly a bill infection too.
    • The other 2 ducklings are perfectly healthy (and I have never had ducks with any problems in the past).
    • Although one of the other ducklings might have the same bill infection - unsure.
    • I do worry whether the other 2 ducklings could become infected through contact, water tubs or bedding.
The symptoms & observations:
  • I do not think it is a bumblefoot infection since it does not resemble it at all.
  • It might be a fungal infection. What might treat that?
  • I cannot find any other duck images online with the same problem.
  • It is mainly affecting the webbed areas of the foot.
    • When the foot closes, it is difficult to see the problem.
  • The foot infections resemble a flaky brown crust, which seems to be more on the surface than embedded.
    • The amount of crust varies over several days - where parts seem to heal with pink skin underneath but then appear to become affected again.
  • The bill infection resembles a smooth light-brown crust.

The environment & shared areas:
  • The ducklings have access to 2 small tubs of plain tap water for wading and washing.
    • Eg. size: 30 x 40 x H20 cm.
    • The water is replenished during the day and the tubs are cleaned every night.
  • The affected duckling tends to avoid entering the tubs but it washes in a tub at least once a day.
  • The affected duckling walks fairly well but struggles slightly and tends to sit for 80% of the day. It can run well too.
    • The excessive sitting makes me suspect it can feel some pain or discomfort from the problem.
    • It will splash its bill around in the water most of the day without hesitation, so hopefully no discomfort there.
  • During the day, they walk on the grass. During the night, they sleep on bamboo hay.

If you find any similar images or relevant information or can advise on such issues, please let me know. It would be much appreciated. Thank you.
(I might close the topic in a few weeks.)

Attachments

• left_foot.jpg
    left_foot.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 26
  • right_foot.jpg
    right_foot.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 6
  • beak.jpg
    beak.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 8
:welcome
Have you tried any topical meds on the feet? soaking in Epsom salt water? [they shouldn't drink the ES water it has a laxative effect]. Putting ACV with mother into their drinking containers 1 Tab to a gal of fresh water?
also http://www.poultrypedia.com/oxine-ah-for-chicken-fungal-infections
I use Oxine ah for disinfecting the roosts and bedding in my coops and have also used it in their drinking water[ I mix 3/4 cup of oxine to 1 gal of water and put it into a spray bottle] for treating fungus you'd have to place the feet into the mix and let it soak in.
There are directions on the link.
and if a vet is an option I'd try and go that route.

Last edited:
I'd like to add that since Muscovy are large birds and grow quickly, the sitting down frequently thing is probably not an issue. They are known for this as they grow. I can tell you from experience that all of mine were lazy little peepers as ducklings!

As @Miss Lydia said, topical medicine should be tried. Go to the pharmacy and look for fungal meds for feet and such.

And :welcome I hope we can help you with your issues!

My muscovy drake had a pale brownish/blackish thing on a couple of the palmate (toes) - not on the webbed part. I Didn't think it was fungus or bumblefoot (no swelling) but was concerned because he seemed not to like walking on it. Considering the ice they walk on and the cold we've had, I decided it was most likely frost bite. I treated it with a silver (nitrate) wound gel. If the foot is cleaned and dried well, I think perhaps you would only need to spread it on every couple or three days. Two treatments seemed to have done the trick.
Good luck

Firstly, thank you to everyone who replied with advice, it was quite unexpected and very reassuring. There is good news now.

@Miss Lydia, "an update?" Absolutely! — Sorry for the delay, but I have been trying to find a moment to provide updates for weeks now.

1. Yes, I did try topical medications, occasionally some iodine (Betadine), but mainly I used tea tree oil in a water bowl as a foot bath and duck bill dab-on.
  2. I do have Epsom salts somewhere but did not get a chance to try them, but I did use this "soaking" idea.
  3. I just realised what ACV is now (AC vinegar). I did that with my chickens when they got worms once.
  4. Oxine AH sounds suitable, but I couldn't easily source any. The link is interesting too. I will study it further for other uses too.
  5. A vet or clinic advice would have been the last option if it did not clear up, mainly due to costs.
So, good news regarding the infection - success! :thumbsup
The infection has fully cleared now on the affected duckling's feet and on the duck bills of both ducklings. See photos of the progress. I don't have the latest photos but it has cleared fully.

@Canadian Wind,
  • Good observation. Now the excessive sitting-down frequency of the affected duckling has reduced significantly. Even as the infection began to clear, I could see it was much more willing to stand and walk for longer. It now walks around anywhere, but still enjoys lazing.
  • It also avoided water tubs early on and just observed the others washing, so I suspect its feet hurt in water, but now it happily soaks & splashes like normal.
  • Initially, I was sceptical about using a pharmacy fungal medication, but I probably could have used a topical one.

@RebinNH,
  • yes same here, it was obvious with my large duckling too that he didn't like walking/standing on his feet (or wetting them) early on.
  • I should have mentioned the climate - I don't have ice in this region at all, it stays between 20-32 °C (celsius) all year round. We're at the hot end at present.

Off topic: I also have some bad news 🐍☠️☠️🐤🦆:hit & other good news 🦆🦆🦆🦆 too, which I shall post in my New Member Introductions post instead since it is unrelated - plus more photos.

Attachments

• left_foot_heal90.jpg
    left_foot_heal90.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 6
  • right_foot_heal90.jpg
    right_foot_heal90.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 3
  • bill_healed.jpg
    bill_healed.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 4
@Miss Lydia, Thank you for the warning info link. Very surprising. Obviously, I had no idea about that. I should have used one of the other treatments.
Luckily, they all seem ok from using it diluted externally and didn't ingest any themselves accidentally. Much appreciated.

I'm just reading this and it could not have come at a better time! I was about to spray some insulating tape that was wrapped over the heat pump lines coming from my compressor and going into my crawlspace. The ducks have been hanging there much of the winter because it's under the porch overhang and no snow gets in there. I can't easily get in there either! I finally gave up and put straw down and a heated water bowl because of the outside double outlet that is there for the compressor. Anyway the kids have started to pull off the tape that covers the lines. Big issue! I need to stop them and apart from blocking their favorite hang out area, I was thinking perhaps bitter apple spray might deter them (but I ran out). Anyone know if that is safe for ducks and think it might stop them from their fun activity?

Back
Top Bottom