Unidentified from my MPC order

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by skav2407, Nov 13, 2009.

1. skav2407

skav2407 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Wakefield, RI
    Hello,

I got a pretty big selection from my pullet MPC order but as of 7 weeks there are still a couple of chicks I can identify. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

This one I think is a Phoenix pullet correct??? I've got a couple of them.
    [​IMG]

The next ones I'm not so sure. The white on in the center is almost pure white with just a bit of black in place but it has dark legs. I haven't been able to find a white chicken with black legs. It does not have muffs either. The brownish spots are dirt (looks worse cause of the flash). Also in the same picture on the left is a white chicken, is that a White leghorn? White Rock? Cornish? What's the best way to tell the different?
    [​IMG]

Also what is the best way to tell a brown leghorn from a welsummer???

Thanks again. I appreciate it!

Take Care,
    Shaun

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    The best way to tell a brown Leghorn and Welsummer apart? Look at their eggs, of course!

3. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    1st pic Yeah may be a phoenix or poss. a Silver-duckwing OEG

2 Looks like maybe a EE, does it have a pea type comb, the other is prob. a WR, Wt. Leghorns would have Wt. ear lobes and if it a cornishX (which looks very similar to a WR) you should see a noticibale growth spurt compared to the others.

3 The best way to tell is that a Brn. Leghorn will have Wt. earlobes and in time the Welsumer should get bigger than a Leghorn.

Hope this helps some. I'm sure there will be more info fror you here shortly.

catdaddy

Kooshie says: Look at their eggs, [​IMG] yeah that works also in about 5 mo. especially if they are pullets.

4. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    Yeah, I got 10 of those Brown Leghorns in my MPC order. They are all Brown Leghorns except for two. One is a Welsummer Rooster and the other a Welsummer hen. They are bigger than the Brown Leghorns. The Brown Leghorns are more yellow gold hackles with brown bodies. The Welsummer hen is more a reddish brown with red gold hackles. At a glance you just notice the size difference, but if you get them side by side you see the red/brown versus yellow/brown. I also believe that is a White Leghorn as it is thin and upright. Rocks would be more rounder. The white one with slate colored legs I would say is a white polish, but no Top Hat. Still could be an EE with no muffs.

Yes I believe that is a Golden Phoenix hen, I have two of those and they have really developed a LONG tail. Mine are 10 weeks old.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  5. skav2407

skav2407 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Wakefield, RI
    Thanks CatDaddyFro & hangin'witthepeeps,

That's a big help! I didn't realize that about the ear lobes. I'm going to have to look a bit more closely when I get home. I don't think MPC which gets it's chicks from Meyer's (I think!) have silver-duckwing OEG and I was supposed to get full size birds so now I'm thinking it's a Phoenix even more.

I'm still wondering about that the white one with the slate legs. I thought maybe a white jersey giant but Meyers doesn't sell the white variety.

I'll check the ear lobes on my suspected brown and white leghorns. How old do they have to be before the white is noticeable?

It's interesting to know what other people got in their MPC order. How many did you get? What did you get?

This is what I think I have: (I got 50)

1 X Blue Polish
    1 X Black Polish
    1 X White Polish
    9 X Brown Leghorns/Welsummers
    6 X White Leghorns/White Rocks
    2 X Golden Campines
    2 X Buff Cantactlers
    1 X Buff Orpington
    9 X Silver Spangled Hamburgs
    2 X Gold Buffs
    3 X Salmon Faverolles ( I think so at least, they have feathered legs and everything but a greyish silver colored mixed in on two of them and the third is more white and back with a little brown)
    1 X Blue Andulsian
    3 X RI Red
    4 X White feathered with slate legs
    5 X Phoenix

I was very happy with the assortment. I received 52 total and had two pass on. The birds seem healthy. I do have 1 Phoenix who is tiny! She couldn't walk right at first but I seperated her and she pulled through, she's just a little runt. I'd say she is still only the size that some of them were after 2 weeks and she's about 7.5 weeks now. I'm really happy with the two blue chicks, very cool. The Campines were a nice surprise too. For the money I can't complain at all.

Thanks again.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Does the white one have pink on its face? Could it be a splash Andalusian?

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The White chick in the front looks to have blue shanks (legs) that would leave out White leghorn, White Rock, and the Cornish..

Chris

8. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I had a white one in my order, but it is a White Splash Polish (roo). Those legs are blue, so there can't be that many white chickens with blue legs?

9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I think Meyer's (which is who supplies for MPC) only sells the Blue Andalusians on their list, so they must parcel out the Black and Splash in mixed orders- this is why I thought it may be a Splash Andalusian. I got Black Andalusians in another order, same age as some I was hatching out, so it was easy identification- they look identical at 9 weeks. There is very obvious pink skin on the face of an Andalusian.

It would also probably start outpacing the Brown Leghorns in growth now, too.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by