Unidentified Poop near the coop!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by yopollo, Aug 26, 2014.

1. yopollo

yopollo Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    I'm worried bc we have had raccoons very close to our house in the past and praise The Lord we haven't seen any since we have had the girls. But today I went out for my morning routine and found that there was a pile of unidentifiable feces behind a bush, right next to the coop. I don't wNt to just post a pic of poop but I'm slightly worried it could be coon scat. We do also have neighborhood cats that roam about so this could be one of the cats too but they haven't really been in our yard bc of our dogs. What should I do?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Make sure that your pen is predator proof, and even if it is lock your coop at night.

3. yopollo

May 1, 2014
    Yes we do have a predator proof coop, praying they will be safe during the night. I have actually heard of coons chewing through wood. Hope thats not the case with ours as it is soft wood : / I just also came home and tucked the girls in and found my girls roosting and one was making an odd noise??? I hope nothing scarred them or that it is an infection, she hasn't sneezed though. If you now anything about this maybe you can help as I am going to make a post. I appreciate your input.

4. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Does it kinda look like dog poop but is not. If so, coon. I have seen coon poop piles as big as my 100 pound labs poop. I'm just glad it hasn't found my chickens.YET

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  5. yopollo

May 1, 2014
    Yeah it is a bit like that. We haven't seen anymore signs of the phantom pooper which is fine by me but we are keeping a close ear and eye out. Also as a side note the girls were just snoring. Lol i didn't know they could snore. Thank you for your help with its identification. I hope you have a happy labor day weekend!

6. chickencreek

Aug 10, 2014
    Yeah chickens make weird noises like when they sneeze or fart. It's funny.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Why not post a pic of the scat? Very common way to ID a predator...just make sure you put something down for scale before taking the pic...like a quarter or a dollar bill.

8. chickencreek

Aug 10, 2014
    Or a ruler!

9. yopollo

May 1, 2014
    I will remember that! If I find another unidentified pile I will probably post it. Otherwise I have disposed of the other scat and we have not found any more signs of the same. So I am hoping that is all good. Although, Im sure my neighbors think I'm crazy as I have gone out at least 2-3 times each day since then, scanning my whole yard (including behind my bushes) Lol just in case.
    I didn't realize that coons like to come out at dusk. I was also told they usually head back home around 10 or 11ish does any one find this to be true? I usually have my girls in the run still at dusk but they will be going in the coop before then from now on, just to keep them safe! Thanks to everyone who has tried to help I appreciate it bunches!

10. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Sorry, but here in West Texas raccoon's come out just before dusk and don't head home until the early hours of the morning just before dawn. I once caught a coon crouching down in a shadow in the corner of my chicken run just waiting for them to head home for the night...he got introduced to my shotgun. They don't punch a time clock though because I have actually seen them prowling around in the field next to our farm where there is high grass and lots of trees and that was in broad daylight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by