unidentified predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jeche57, Dec 22, 2009.

1. jeche57

jeche57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    anyone know what to do against an owl predator,thx jeff

2. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    Check with the game warden about the owl,they are protected in my state unless they are killing your stock. other than a shotgun I've used live animal trap baited with a chicken that the owl killed this caught the owl,they not afraid to crawl in holes or drain tiles as i have found out. An owl will kill several chickens or guineas at a time. Good luck & keep your stock locked up tight.

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Is an owl capable of killing/carrying off a full sized chicken? I had a rooster (a big Jersey Giant, close to ten pounds I think!) get out of the pen at night a couple of weeks ago and we only found a big pile of feathers on the ground. No blood, tracks, or sign of a fight. The other chickens and the goats never made a fuss, nor did we hear this rooster make any noise when whatever it was got him. The goats hate coyotes and dogs, so anything like that would have had them going nuts and we would have heard it since the pens are right outside the house. I thought maybe an owl, since I know we have several around here, but I wasn't sure if it would be strong enough to fly off with such a big meal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by