"Unimprinting" chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by estheramelia, Jan 31, 2016.

1. estheramelia

estheramelia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    HI
    I know this question is pointless but my curiosity is killing me -.- Is it possible for, say, a week old chick who thinks you're "mom/dad" to stop thinking you as a parent after maybe a month or two? Because if I get too many roosters in my hatching eggs I know I have to sell them...can't bear to think about it if they imprint on me, then I can't face it. So, any ideas?

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

They don't imprint on you so much as Mom...it's more, "Hey look! There's the hand that gives us good things to eat!!" Now, suddenly you aren't there but there's another human..."Hey look! There's the hand that gives us good things to eat!" [​IMG]

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Also, boy chicks become hormonal fairly early on and their focus isn't on any human, but on girl chicks. They really don't consider you as being very necessary to their existence. So don't feel like you're going to traumatize the little darlings by re-homing or butchering them. It's simply not in the equation.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Chickens need other chickens, and the only real issues are with solitary chicks raised without other birds. That's totally unnatural and will make integration into bird society more difficult. Mary

5. estheramelia

estheramelia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    HI

I'm going to buy 12 hatching eggs and after a couple months I will remove some

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Well, there is no guarantee they will all hatch. There is no guarantee any will hatch. Have you incubated before? Are these local or shipped eggs?

Have a backup plan if you wind up with a singleton hatchling. Trust me on that one.

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Chicks imprint on the first big movable object that they are exposed to. Ideally that object should be their momma. They neither love or loath you, it's just their way of keeping from getting separated from their nest mates.

8. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I know ducklings imprint on humans but I didn't really think chicks did that. At least I didn't find my chicks did that even though there were only two of them and they were inside with me till about 5 weeks old. They are now about 14 weeks and are far from under the impression I'm mum. In fact I think my broody raised chick last year was less nervous of me than these guys are.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by