1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UnIncorporated Washington County Oregon

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by JasonJC, Jun 4, 2009.

1. JasonJC

JasonJC Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Tigard, Or
    I'm interested to know if anyone has a link or information in regards to chicken coop structure regulations and what might be the distance between residential homes for this area.

From what I understand this area is not ordinanced for chickens. But there seems to be some regulations for coops structure and distance as I noted above.

I gave a call to Dept of Land Use and all I get as an option is to leave a message with the person with this information. Called yesterday as well, but yet no call backs...

I'm in the unincorporated Washington County area of Tigard, the West side of Bull Mountain.

2. cjvg

cjvg New Egg

Mar 3, 2009
    Laurelwood, OR
  3. Youthful One

Youthful One New Egg

Jun 3, 2009
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Through those links we found the info we needed. (I'm JasonJC's wife. [​IMG])

THANKS!
    [​IMG]

4. JasonJC

JasonJC Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Tigard, Or
    Thank you cjvg! [​IMG]

To show all interested viewers, this is my path that lead me to my answer:
    First, knowing your zone is important as cjvg suggested. I had already known the zone, but wasn't sure were to gain my information. We are zoned R-6

Following cjvg's link to Community Development Code, I found this for R-6:

http://washtech.co.washington.or.us/LDS/CDCdocs/303.pdf

303-2.1 Accessory Uses and Structures - Section 430-1.

I then went to Section 430-1 and found this:

http://washtech.co.washington.or.us/LDS/CDCdocs/430-1TO9.pdf

Our chicken coop is no larger than 36sqft. But we did have to move it to the other side of the house due to distance between neighbors.

(5) Buildings or other structures for livestock, or buildings or other structures for poultry that are fifty-one (51) square feet or larger, shall be located in a side or rear yard at least thirty (30) feet from any property line and at least one-hundred feet from any existing residence, except the owner’s dwelling;

(6) Fenced runs for livestock shall be at least one-hundred (100) feet from any existing residence, except the owner’s residence;

Our neighbor doesn't mind that we have chickens but he didn't want the coop where we wanted it. But where we wanted it was not code anyways and made the move more justifiable, plus I probably would have moved it to keep the relationship good between us anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by