Unintelligent Orpingtons

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WhiteLeghorn2, Jan 30, 2014.

1. WhiteLeghorn2

WhiteLeghorn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Out of the 5 breeds I own, my two buff orpingtons are by far the least intelligent breed of the bunch lol! They usually circle the coop looking for the door after they free range, even though the doors are wide open lol! They'll also randomly start flying and running thinking there's a predator lol. [​IMG] They're a great breeder for eggs and meat, and I love my orps, but their intelligence is quite low. Is it just my hens, or are orpingtons generally a ditsy breed? Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    I have 3 Buff Orpingtons. 2 are very smart and intelligent bt the daughter of one of them is called Bella, and she is dumb! She had a dust bath in a bog...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    [​IMG] ^^^^ That is hysterical!!! -love those pics!

My two Buff Orpingtons definitely take top honors for being less than bright. They will be two years old in a few months, and to this day cannot figure out how to exit the run without help at times. -when the run door is opened, the flock runs out sans those two gals. They pace back in forth in the run attempting to locate the door. It is hilarious!!

A few days ago, whilst they were out foraging, one of 'em decided to go to the coop to lay. She went into the bantam's part of the coop and tried to get into the little bantam nest box. (She is huge!) I finally had to go in the coop and literally place her in her nest box. [​IMG] -no way that big gal was ever going to fit in that little bantam box. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] OMG is this chicken dirty!!!

And for WhiteLeghorn and TXChickmum, and the chickens that can't find the coop door....[​IMG] That is just crazy!

I don't keep Buff Orpingtons, but I do keep Black Australorps, (they are also Orpingtons), and find them pretty smart. I was going to get some Buff Orps this spring, but if they are this dumb, I think I will go with another breed!! [​IMG]

5. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I have australorps and 5 other orpingtons, (various colors), mine seem to be pretty smart:) they come when I call them, they jump in my lap when I say "up"...I dunno, the orps are one of my fav breeds:)

6. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Thanks both of you. Bella even had a dust bath on clean concrete the other day! She also chases the top hen around thinking she is above her just because the top hen walked past her! [​IMG][​IMG]

7. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Our two Orpingtons are very sweet. They, too, jump up in my daughter's lap and sit there just like a dog or cat. -not smart, but very sweet.
    My Black Australorp follows my bantam Cochin around EVERYWHERE. It is so funny! The little Cochin walked underneath a lounge chair the other day to pick at some dandelions. My Australorp crawled on her belly underneath the chair right behind her. I laughed out loud at that one. Smart - not so sure about mine. She is sweet, though.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

9. SparrowHawkFarm

SparrowHawkFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Oregon, USA
    I have EE chickens, Orps, Australorps, And Marans, they are all pretty smart, though sometimes one of them won't be. But I think it depends on the chicken itself not the breed I think, I have an Americana called wisdom and she's the smartest chicken i have ever owned! Very Wise hen! =)

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yep...you are correct. Among the dumbest, least desirable breeds I've ever owned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by