Unintentional rooster introduction. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Knock Kneed Hen, May 29, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Okay, I left this morning and checked on the 11-12 week old pullets. I have them in the new coop and the year old rooster in the adjoining service area. I'm coming home around 7 pm and call DH. He asks me if I meant to put the rooster in with the pullets....NO, I did not!! I'm waiting to hear about the casualties....DH said he came home from work late morning and the door between the two areas must have blown open, the rooster was peacefully hanging out with the others.

I put him in his area this evening and closed the window that caused the door to blow open. I feel fortunate that nothing catastrophic happened. Do I now just let him continue being in the coop with them or should I keep him separated for at least another 4-6 weeks? The girls can fly up onto the roosts but I'm not so sure that he can.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Tough call you have. Since nothing happened to neither the pullets nor the rooster, why not on your days off let them be together under your supervision to see how it goes.

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree! Let him join your ladies occaisionally, when you'll be near to stop anything that's getting rough. Plus, he might be calm just hanging out once in a while.

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Thanks! That's what I'll do!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by