"Uninvited" guests.....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cfortier, Jan 26, 2015.

1. cfortier

cfortier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Hi everyone. We have two different flocks in our yard. 7 Welsh Harlequin Ducks and 4 Welsummer Chickens. They are in their separate areas. Chickens in a covered pen so they can't fly away, and the ducks in an uncovered pen. We are getting a blizzard here today, and bad weather has brought in some very unwanted guests - European Starlings. They are a nuisance! They are eating all the ducks/chickens food, drinking their water and pooping all over.

Does anyone know of a good method for removing them? I am assuming that a predator decoy might help...but those are quite costly.

Any input/thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks everyone,

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Starlings are just awful! I quit filling my wild bird feeders when they and the cow birds come. Is there a way you can cover the food with a tarp leaving room for your birds to get in but making it less visible to the starlings? I don't know what else to say except if I had to pick a bird to hate, the starling is it!
  3. Rocky64

Rocky64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Take a .22 and pick em off one by one, although more will probably take the place of the fallen.
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    My Coop
    If the issue is truly only weather related I would suggest riding this bit out and then assessing if the problem persists once the weather clears. The birds *may* move on, but it is more likely they will decide they like the all-you-can-eat buffet your setup offers. If that happens, I would suggest considering an alteration to your feeding setup to eliminate the "bird bait" - no more buffet/no more birds. Treadle feeders are one great way to deal with nuisance animals, especially small birds, as they are unable to trigger the mechanism that gives access to the feed - larger birds such as the ducks and chickens you WANT to be feeding have no such problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by