uniontown, pa

ndan

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
Hi. Well new to livestock, never even seen a baby chicken in real life but...
well I'm gonna get
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/ornamental_layer_collection.html
I think.
25 I suppose. that's alot of little birds.

I'm moving into a new house. I already have a slab of concrete that would be perfect for a shed, i'm thinkin at least 8x10 so i definantly wanna use that. I have a fence being installed for the dogs. The cement for them to use the restroom on, (a yard not filled with dog poop even though not our "play yard" is nice for training) and the yard up to the sidewalk to run (it makes like a triangle) other side of the walkway is the slab and plenty of runway for the chickens.

They'll be a day old when we get them, the fence will be up within the month i'd like to have the whole thing built by then too. Not sure on which design henhouse to use. I'll def get them all vaccinated for maerks and cocci. i have a humidity reader/temp reader which i think i'll find useful. I'm gonna plant broccoli and baby spinach here in a few days (indoors) and wintercress as soon as i get some seeds.

So I have a 3x4 ft wire kennel with one of those trays underneath, looks like it would be perfect for starters. my only concern would be the wire spacing would be to big and their little paws (or claws) would fall through. maybe if i weaved 550 cord or something through the gaps? I have a heat bulb for an aquarium light with fixture i am going to use. so cedar is bad huh? sucks i have a bunch of cedar shavings. i hear a little keeps bugs away but a lot causes breathing problems.

So I need to figure out feed, i guess i'll get it from tractor supply, it'll be unmedicated feed so does it have to be "starter" feed. i know i'm gonna get that jello water stuff from the hatchery with the stone stuff it needs to eat the food. also DE for the Deep layer method. I keep my house between 65 degrees (basement where they will be) and 70. not drafty at all so i don't think i'd have to cover the wire cage with head lamps but if i do i guess plastic, or linens.

basically just trying to make sure i have some sort of plan before i take the plunge which is soon. any cost saving tips would be appreciated. i'm sure i'll stumble across many hurdles along the way. obviously i research alot. i really hope to not wind up with a bunch of dead baby chickens. I accept the fact I may kill and eat a couple if they are douche bags or roosters. but I would prefer none die except for "natural" causes and have a happy life.

welcome-byc.gif

I'd like to point you toward the Learning Center pages to get started. Especially this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

After checking it out, you might want to rethink a few things a bit.

You also might want to plan for a larger coop as well, depending on the breed of chicken you get (thinking size here...)

Also, chicks grow fast and 25 will soon be very crowded in a 3 by 4 cage during the time that they will continue to need heat.

Anyway, check it out!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I agree with the above. Good luck and have fun with your chicks!

Greetings from Kansas, ndan, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard. I agree with the above posters - read the link that Yay Chicks sent - lots of good info in it. And with The Old Chick...they take up a lot of space and 8x10 fills up pertty quick once they get big. 4 sq.ft. per bird is recommended and you're under that with 25 birds so it will be cramped. Saying that, my birds would be cramped as well in their small coop....but I have a big run plus they free range a lot. Best of luck to you in your chicken adventure.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

While chicks can be brooded on 1/4" hardware cloth it is probably not very comfortable for them.

Why are you not planning on using medicated feed? It is not an antibiotic if that is what concerns you, it contains a niacin inhibitor that prevents the coccidia parasite from multiplying, and is not really a "medication" in that sense.

Back
Top Bottom