Unique chick??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ssbs, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    I've hatched out something like 50-75 birds over the last year.. Yesterday I woke up to 3 chicks on the bator. They are from brown hens and a white roo. All the brown chicks I've had have brown wings, buy one of my chicks has a brown body with yellow wings.

Has anybody seen a brown coturnix with white wings?

2. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I had one like that when they were together. It had white under the wing and a little bit on top.

3. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    its a form of pied isnt it?

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah it may stick it out it may not. I have a sticky somewhere on some mutations. But usually those white whites grow into brown.

5. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    They are a week old now, with the feathers coming in it looks like this oddball will have a white chest and wings [​IMG]

6. I have one ALL white with a touch of brown on the top of its head. The kids named it DOT tentatively. I can't wait till the fall to see how the eggs hatch from it.

7. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    What?

Sorry but people that raise coturnix, do not wait until the fall!

They do generally lay better at 45-50 deg. F., but why wait until the fall? Coturnix are not seasonal layers, like many game birds. Is there a pen space issue or something? I can really appreciate that problem. What...what???

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I have a number of pied birds yesterday was "freezer day " Otherwise I could take a piccy [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  9. What?

Sorry but people that raise coturnix, do not wait until the fall!

They do generally lay better at 45-50 deg. F., but why wait until the fall? Coturnix are not seasonal layers, like many game birds. Is there a pen space issue or something? I can really appreciate that problem. What...what???

It is too hot here in Phoenix to run our incubator. Inside the house does get to well above 105 at times so I'm waiting till probably late August till late Sep to start with the process. Birds here do get alot more WARMTH in the summer.

10. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:i kinda have one like that, its not the greatest pic, but you can see her drinking water

[​IMG]

the white is actually much larger then the photo shows

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by