Unique chirping - Barred Plymouth Rock

ChickensARGreat

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 25, 2014
Alhambra, Calif.
We have 5 pullets, and one of them is a barred rock. Ever since we got her 5 weeks ago, she makes a unique, two-tone 'beep' sound almost all the time. Very different from our golden comets, which make more 'regular' chicken clucking and squawking sounds. She is about 2.5 months old now.

Is this unique vocalization common amongst barred Plymouth rock chickens? Just curious....

It's funny you ask this. Believe it or not, I have a barred rock pullet that used to make this noise. Reading this made me realize that she doesn't seem to do it anymore. It was probably around the same age as yours that I noticed it and she's now about 22 weeks and laying. I was concerned for a while that she was sick, but never noticed any problems with her. I have no idea if that's common with barred rocks or not.

Thanks, SIMZ!

Our barred rock is a most unique individual! She can be bossy, but loves to be petted and be around people. She seems smarter than our other pullets - she seems to demand respect (I know that sounds silly!) The beeping sound she makes now seems to be an attention getting ploy...she wants the world to know she's ready for action!

She sounds like a cutie!
smile.png
We have a 3 year old Barred Rock, "Annie", and she's always front and center! Today I was trying to feed our tall turkeys some treats, and she jumped up in the air and grabbed the food right out of my hand. LOL She's always cracked me up!

Back
Top Bottom