Unique dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KDOGG331, Sep 19, 2018.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Enabler

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Who has a unique or rare dog? Just curious to see how many rare dogs there are here. Probably not that many but I figured it'd be fun. It could be a rare, uncommon breed or even maybe a less common color or something.

I know these aren't exactly "rare" at all but I love Keeshond and Schipperkes and eventually want a Berger Blanc Suisse (White Swiss Shepherd) which is different than both white GSD and White Shepherd though those are cool too.

And there's a lot of breeds that really aren't common in the US at all but are in other countries or are only in certain parts of the US.

SueT likes this.
  2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I have a mutt, not uncommon in itself, but she is half Catahoula and people look at me sideways when I say that and no one seems to have heard of a Catahoula (at least not in this part of the country).

KDOGG331 and snow5164 like this.
  3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Enabler

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh I actually have heard of that one! Lol then again, I know a lot of dog breeds cause I love dogs :lau they are beautiful dogs but protective and very high energy, right?

4. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    Definitely both protective and high energy :lau

5. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Enabler

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Both reasons why I don't think I'd get one lol

6. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    Yeah, definitely depends your lifestyle. She's my hiking buddy and will be backpacking with me this week, she will be my protector in the wilderness for sure. Nothing can sneak up on us ;)

KDOGG331 likes this.
  7. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Enabler

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That's awesome! I can see how a protective dog could be good then. I'm just kind of over protective dogs, I guess cause Gator is really protective and somewhat dog reactive with certain dogs (mostly on leash and driving by) because we didn't really socialize him so that kind of made me not want a protective dog. He like goes crazy at the bay window barking his head off, he HATES delivery people (they don't come in the driveway anymore or at least not the doorstep lol) and like goes ballistic, hair up, etc. And he cam be scary. But usually once people are inside, he is totally fine. Although one time he didn't let my friend in which was weird cause he's seen her before but not in a while but I actually think he would have been fine cause he started to calm down just the teeniest bit when he heard her voice but my mom was freaking out and wouldn't let her in and scared of him so he of course freaked out more too. But anyway, he's just a giant pain. And he doesn't like people reaching in the car. Thankfully he's now 6 1/2 and doesn't freak out at the window anymore. Half the time he doesn't even notice lol but he's getting sick and/or deaf sadly. Which is why but still. And I know that a lot of it is just training and socialization which he never really had (I did train him myself, pretty advanced in obedience and tricks but didn't really teach proper behavior at the door/window/guests/strangers) but still. He loves people on walks though so maybe he would have been fine with training and socialization, idk. But it's kind of turned me off protective breeds. They could be a liability. Although of course the next dog I would train and socialize properly but still. Still a risk even with a trained dog. He's also too independent which adds to it. Black Lab/Great Pyrenees. Thinking pure Lab, Golden, or Aussie next. But now I've been thinking about more unique breeds lol

8. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Enabler

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    And in the wilderness a protective dog would definitely be a great thing and I do like hiking, hadn't thought of that, or if I move out/live alone, but in a neighborhood or city it could be a liability if not trained, socialized, and managed properly. Or stressful to the dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: