Unique Olive Eggs F/S - MS/LA border

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monique,

Love the eggs!

My BCM's I picked up from your place and hatched earlier this year are doing great.

Colby

I love the eggs! So tempting!

Are these true breeding olive eggers? That is, do both parents carry two copies of the blue gene, or will some of these eggs produce brown eggs?

I know it's fairly simple to get olive eggers from a first generation hybrid, but a little trickier to breed in the dark brown genes and 2 copies of the blue gene.

I am way over my limit, but Olive Eggers are next on my list. Very nice!

Quote:
Good question. I don't know. Time will tell. But if any of these chicks grow up to produce brown eggs wouldn't they still be the dark brown Marans egg and since the chick came from a green egg and carries that gene could't it be bred with another that came from a green egg?

I really have no idea. I read the threads that others have started about Marans and genetics and it makes my head hurt.
smile.png

What I do know is that all of my other breeds freerange and I have some Barred Rocks that look exactly like a pure Barred Rock but they lay blue/green eggs because they came out of blue/green eggs since their mother was an EE or Ameraucana. I also have a lot of Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds with feathered legs since their daddy was a Marans.

So from what I've noticed on my farm, the egg color and the feathered shanks seem to be dominate.

SOLD - Sorry, this first dozen has sold.

I will have another dozen available in three weeks since I already have bids on the second dozen on Eggbid.

MODS - please don't close this thread. I will still take orders for the next available dozen and will take a short list of maybe 2 or 3 orders.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks and thanks to all who have posted compliments.

The unique thing about the eggs is that the color can be scratched off just like the Marans eggs. If I don't gather them often enough, they get all scratched up. They almost seem to have a dark brown, see-through, coating on top or mixed-in. It's hard to explain but they are very different than the blue or green eggs my other breeds lay. With those eggs the color is in the shell - with these, it's like the paint shute paints brown and green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom