UNIQUE SILKIE COLORING.. ANY HELP?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Georgia Nana, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Georgia Nana

Georgia Nana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    Here Is my little Silkie pullet. I am intrigued by her coloring and want input from you experts!! I saw her parents and siblings, and all are beautiful birds, but she is the only one like this. There is no hatchery stock involved. Her eyes are light green, and her earlobes and comb are pink. Her skin is Blue. Can anyone shed any light on her color? When I saw her, I just had to have her because of her uniqueness. Her offspring should be interesting at the very least!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kadra

Kadra Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    West Linn, OR
    Beautiful bird- maybe part Araucana/Ameraucana because of the blue feet? What's her name?

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Not Araucana/Ameraucana. The bird is missing the fibromelanosis gene. The blue legs are due to the dermal melanin gene which is normally found in silkies. It is the same gene that is found in Araucana/Ameraucana.

Tim

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  4. Kadra

Kadra Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    West Linn, OR
    Oh, okay. :)

5. Georgia Nana

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    She is purebred Silkie. She hasn't told me her name yet [​IMG] !

6. Georgia Nana

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    Tim, Thank you! Now...how does this play out with breeding her? Her mother is Black and her daddy is White. Both are beautiful Silkies. I saw about 10 of her brothers and sisters and all are black, white, and partridge. What caused this abnormal coloring (besides the obvious missing gene?!)?
    Thank you so much!

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I agree

8. Georgia Nana

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    Do you know what causes this ? (Other than the obvious.)

9. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:the Lack of a gene(Fibromelanotic) is because at one point(from the look of the bird it seems like a few generations ago) there was a none fibromelanotic bird introduced to the gene pool and while her parents may have had black skins, both of them had only 1 copy of it

10. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    The white in silkies is normally due to the recessive white gene- the black father carries one recessive white gene and the mother carries two recessive white genes ( that is why she is white)- when crossed the offspring that inherited one recessive white gene were black or partridge, the chicks that inherited two recessive white genes ( one from mom and one from dad) are white. White birds can be any color under the white- black, red, partridge, and etc.

The black downed chicks were black because they inherited more black pigment producing genes from the father and mother than the partridge chicks.

The partridge chicks inherited genes from the father and mother to make them partridge. The white parent is partridge under the white while the black parent is not purebred for black pigment making genes.

Tim

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by