Unkle Sandy's Macaw Bird Park (peafowl and other birds too)

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Feb 9, 2014.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    For my Environmental Science class I have to do at least 10 hours of service with a non profit organization. I wanted to do something with animals, so I called the local wildlife rescue, but the owner told me it would be too much trouble for them to have me come because I would have to go though a long training program and they would have to look after me, so it wouldn't be worth the 10 hours. She did tell me about Unkle Sandy's Macaw Bird Park so that is where I went. I haven't finished my 10 hours yet but I did 8 hours the other day.

The founder, "Unkle Sandy", loved macaws and he started rescuing some. The neighbors enjoyed visiting his birds, and soon he decided to open his place up to the public. He died a year or so ago and since then the park was turned into a non profit park. The great volunteers work hard to keep Sandy's dream alive. The park mainly does consist of macaws and other parrots big and small, but there are also 4 peacocks, 1 turkey gobbler, 1 red golden, 4 ducks, and 2 emus.

I brought Aaron with me and Aaron got really lucky because this one macaw that didn't like a lot of people (he really didn't like me) loved Aaron and got on Aaron's shoulder and everything. There was a Military Macaw that did like me. He liked to stand on my shoe and scrape his beak across my shoe, and sometimes he tapped my shoe. I was worried he would bite me.

I know this isn't 100% peafowl, but I like sharing stuff like this with everyone in this section since I know you all better than members in other areas.

Since parrots have strong beaks, they have to be kept in all metal aviaries. Here is the large flight aviary with the nicest parrots inside. Guests are allowed to enter this aviary and sit or stand and feed the macaws peanuts.
    [​IMG]

There are a bunch of random things for the macaws to perch on and play on.
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the Emus. I was really happy to be able to see emus and I got to pet them. They love their neck scratched!
    [​IMG]

Here is Aaron feeding all of the parrots some bread that we brought for them. I wasn't sure if parrots eat bread, but evidently they do.
    [​IMG]

This is the big turkey the bird park has. His name is Tom. Tom is really silly and likes strutting on top of the smaller parrot pens and later in the day he was giving the peacocks grief by chasing them all around the park. It was very funny!
    [​IMG]

I forgot what kind of ducks these are? They are a tropical species am I right?
    [​IMG]

I also saw 3 chickens. All of them were roosters. I couldn't get a good photo of the one with feathery feet.
    [​IMG]

Immediately when one of the volunteers showed me the peafowl, who were hanging out in one gated area of the park where they keep the sheds of bird food, tools, and saws and things for pen building, I knew that the large oak tree was where the peacocks must roost at night, and I guessed right! It was a beautiful huge oak and the peacocks spent a good bit of time hanging out on the branches. Peafowl confuse me because Zaz's birds like to wander all around, yet this bird park is the second place I have seen that has peafowl that stay in very small areas and don't wander that far at all.
    There was only one white peacock:
    [​IMG]

There were two pied peacocks, and I fell in love with them because they reminded me of Dragon, and come to find out they got two of their peafowl from the same person I got Dragon from. I wonder if the pieds are related to him?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue and gold macaw wing
    [​IMG]

I guess the Military macaws liked me the most. This one I think was mainly interested in my camera. It liked the lens. This one also bobbed its head up and down a lot around me. I think he/she liked me! It's mate got mad when I was around though and then they would start fighting.
    [​IMG]

These were cute little birds. Unfortunately they lost a few to the cold.
    [​IMG]

Here is the one that bit me....I went to feed it some bread (I had already fed the same bird without trouble) but this time it quickly grabbed my finger and held on. I didn't say anything or cry and I certainly new yanking my finger away would be a bad idea so I waited for the parrot to let go. My finger felt like it had really been crushed! It was bleeding a little and it hurt so bad and it was numb for a long time before I got feeling back in it. I felt a little bit weak after that and also after that I was extra weary around the parrots. I am so used to the gentle pecks peafowl give and even our dog when she bites me hard doesn't hurt that bad. I got to thinking about how these birds are build to crush big nuts and things and yikes! I read that if a big parrot like this one wants to, it can break your finger so I got off easy.
    [​IMG]

This is Bill who I think is mainly in charge of the park. He took this macaw out of a cage inside in the morning and had the bird on his shoulder all day! I don't think this bird has its wings clipped either so it was funny that it just was so content to stay perched on his shoulder the whole day even when he did some digging with a shovel!
    [​IMG]

I love this photo. The bird is eating a french-fry.
    [​IMG]

Pretty pied!!!
    [​IMG]

A pair of mandarins. They were kind of skittish.
    [​IMG]

This was a very nice little parrot.
    [​IMG]

Sun Conures - very nice and pretty.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Evidently we were lucky to see this Red Golden pheasant. I noticed earlier that there were signs saying some of the bird varieties. I saw that it listed guineas, red goldens, yellow goldens, and lady Amherst. I wondered where those birds were...I don't know if there are more Red Goldens, but this one is free-range! He doesn't stay nearly as close as the peafowl do and he was skittish. One of the volunteers said it is rare to see him because he mainly stays in the woods.
    [​IMG]

This is Aaron with a parrot that doesn't like most people, but he loves Aaron! He didn't like me though. Every time I got near the pen he would get near me and quickly grab at the fence chewing at it wanting to get at me.
    [​IMG]

Around the time we were about to leave, the India blue peacock was on top of the roof.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then when we were about to get into my truck one of the pied peacocks started displaying for one of the chickens which was a real treat!
    [​IMG]

Aaron and I had a lot of fun and we might try to volunteer here every Saturday. I want to tame their peacocks. I held out some bread to one of the pieds and he got close, but wasn't sure about taking the bread from my hand.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rosa moschata

Rosa moschata Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    It's truly admirable that the (now deceased) owner tried to offer sanctuary to unwanted macaws. Please don't take this negatively -- those aviaries look kinda boring for the birds. If you're volunteering there, look around for safe plants and trees and try assembling toys or other enrichment for them. Two sanctuaries I can think of off-hand have websites with some images of how they house their birds.

http://cockatoorescue.org/

http://projectperry.org/

The second also has a facebook page, with more photos of the large aviaries they're assembling for their flocks. Maybe you can get some ideas for enriching the aviaries where you're volunteering.

In any case, kudos to you.

:)

3. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    Very interesting....great pictures! And good for you to think of volunteering more!:)

4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Thank you for bringing up Project Perry! I was thinking about them recently but forgot the name of that parrot rescue! I was looking at some older photos and I think the bird park was nicer when the owner was still in good health and could care for it more. When I was there we were doing a lot of pen improvements, but it did look boring in most of the pens. That is part of the reason I am excited about getting involved with this park because I would like to beautify it and make it more fun for the parrots as well. The large flight aviary did have two trees in it, which where in the back. I didn't notice the trees until I walked to the very end of the aviary. They were not very noticeable. They do provide the birds with wood to chew on. I will have to read up more on parrots. I am into gardening but peafowl seem to know what plants they can eat and what plants they cannot. I am not so sure parrots would be the same way as parrots seem to chew on anything so I will have to read up on safe plant choices. I wonder if clumping bamboo would work and if the parrots would like to hang around on the bamboo?
    It would be nice if eventually they had larger pens for the little parrots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by