Unknown breed 1 week and 5 day old hen

With that feathering I am thinking it might be a male. But, still very early days, and I can't see the comb in that pic.

To ID this chick you need to know how many toes it has, whether it has fluff on the feet/legs, and any other details you can find.

And despite whatever traits you can see, it may well be a mutt.

I'm no expert on breeds, preferring mutts myself, but here are a few pages which very handily show pics of the chicks of breeds as well as the mature males and females.

Quote: Quote: Quote: Quote:
Best wishes.

You might be able to see the comb here. Thanks though! I got her from my local feed store but I forgot what breed she was. You think she might be a roo? Well either I'll still keep her. She (or he) has such a funny personality!

Lucky chook for its gender to not matter. :) They can be quite interesting little pets for sure.

The comb isn't looking conclusive at all, still fairly early. Some show by now, some don't.

I am still thinking possible male, but time will tell.

Best wishes.

It might be a Partridge Plymouth Rock. I don't see any obvious male traits yet, but it is too young to be sure.

The coloring is certainly right for a Partridge Rock (although I can't really see its leg color in the pic), but it's too young to sex with any real degree of accuracy. I would suggest posting its pic again in about 5 weeks. By then, both its breed and its gender should be obvious.

Here is what she (or he) looks like now. Sorry not the best pictures (my little brother was holding her while I took the picture).

I'm thinking a bit much comb for a female that age, so still thinking male. Also the shoulders are still bare, none of my pullets of any type have ever had bare shoulders at that age.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom