unknown cause of diarrhea

Sabrina24

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
For several weeks now one of our chickens has had diarrhea. When it first started we wormed the flock, knowing we were due anyway and a few had abnormal poops. After the worming they all had better poop except once. I think I have it narrowed down to 2 of the 9 (after going out early one morning and seeing where they are sleeping since they are not always consistent). One of them is not hanging out with the rest of the flock as much as the others either, though she never really has. We had a cold spell last week and she was going into the coop around 2 or 3 when the rest didn't go in until at least 4. I see her eat and drink still, but the eating does seem to be less. And the last few days the diarrhea has gotten worse. I took a picture of it today and will see if I can post it. I have looked up possibly causes and none of them catch my attention. There has never been blood, just the urates and intestinal shedding. I have considered taking a sample to the vet (I doubt my husband would go for that though). Does anyone have an idea what that would cost? The bird I am suspecting showed up at our neighbors house 6 months ago and gave us several eggs a week all summer so I doubt she is that old, though we do not know for sure. Sorry, this got long. But any help would be appreciated!

Looks similar to our hen. She isolated herself from the flock, and was just standing in the run. We brought her in, starting treating with corid, and wormed her. She was not eating or drinking on her own. Her poo was super smelly, one of those smells that you'll never forget. Brought a stool to the vet, no worms, no coccidia, so he gave me Baytril for her. She was slightly better within 24 hours, and a new bird within 36 hours. I believe she had necrotic enteritis. She hasn't laid an egg in over a month, and I believe her illness threw her into a hard molt even though she is only 7 months old. I would follow casportpony's advice, and do it quickly. We brought our hen in on a Sunday, and by Tuesday I thought she might not make it.

This is on the poop board from last night. There is another chickens poop right next to it, not from the sick chicken.

For several weeks now one of our chickens has had diarrhea. When it first started we wormed the flock, knowing we were due anyway and a few had abnormal poops. After the worming they all had better poop except once. I think I have it narrowed down to 2 of the 9 (after going out early one morning and seeing where they are sleeping since they are not always consistent). One of them is not hanging out with the rest of the flock as much as the others either, though she never really has. We had a cold spell last week and she was going into the coop around 2 or 3 when the rest didn't go in until at least 4. I see her eat and drink still, but the eating does seem to be less. And the last few days the diarrhea has gotten worse. I took a picture of it today and will see if I can post it. I have looked up possibly causes and none of them catch my attention. There has never been blood, just the urates and intestinal shedding. I have considered taking a sample to the vet (I doubt my husband would go for that though). Does anyone have an idea what that would cost? The bird I am suspecting showed up at our neighbors house 6 months ago and gave us several eggs a week all summer so I doubt she is that old, though we do not know for sure. Sorry, this got long. But any help would be appreciated!
A vet is the best way to go, but, often, not affordable. Possibly an intestinal infection. There are many causes of diarrhea as you know. Antibiotics for intestinal infections might help. How is her weight? Is there any other symptom?

She has never hung out with the group as much so when I bring down scraps it's hard to tell how much she is eating. I went out before lunch today and she was hanging out with the rest of the flock. I want to say she looks thinner, but when she showed up at our neighbors (about 6 months ago) she was pretty scraggly and now after molting she finally has feathers everywhere, so this is the first time we're seeing her all fluffed up. =) If we decide to treat her, how would I get antibiotics for her?

Long term diarrhea can stem from so many things....bacterial infections, viral infections, fungal infections, worms, damage from worms, the diet of the bird, stress, a change of feed or just the feed itself.

What did you worm with? There could still be worms.

Also, after a worming, I always pump them with probiotics for at least a week following. Then I use them a couple of times a week anyway.

Too many vitamins and electrolytes will cause diarrhea as well.

Depending on what you wormed with, you might consider another wormer just in case. Then get them on probiotics. These can help not only with boosting the immume system but to heal any fungal infections. Add a good vitamin supplement to their diet. I use Calf Manna Performance Pellets in the feed. I have never had any trouble with diarrhea with this supplement.

If the bird still has diarrhea, you might try an antibiotic on her. She could have something like E.coli or an Enteritis of some sort.

As for antibiotics, some feed stores carry them or you can order them on line from many poultry supply places. I get mine from various places....DrsFosterSmith, Arcada Pet Supplies, First State Vet, just to name a few. Even check on Amazon. Sometimes you can find them there as well.

That poop has blood/intestinal lining in it:

I tend to treat pretty aggressively when I see poop like that. If she were mine I would de-worm with Safeguard for goats at 0.23ml per pound for five days and I'd also start her on Baytril, metronidazole and Corid. In addition to those meds, I'd tube fluids, then fluids and food. Would be best to keep her in a warm room, too.

-Kathy

I've read it's normal for intestinal lining to be shed, especially at night, so I assumed that was ok. Thank you for the info.

Back
Top Bottom