1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unknown Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rogersne, Mar 27, 2015.

1. rogersne

rogersne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    south west Nebraska
    I bought these chicks at the local Orchelens store. The two small ones with the feathers on the feet were in a tub called mixed Bantams. The large black and white one was in a tub called colored egg layers. It was bigger than all the rest. They would have been hatched about mar 2nd. Can anyone tell me what I have. The little brown bantums are quite different in personality. One peeps loudly the entire time its away from the rest. The other just lies down and goes to sleep. They look identical. I got them because they were the only ones in the tub with feathers on the feet. Now the big black and white one I have no idea on. It does have the black legs but bottom of feet are yellow. This is the most inquisitive chicken of the nine I have. It is not really afraid but never pecks at me or anything. Ive never owned chickens so any help will be greatly appreciated. And by the way I read how you should not mix bantams and reg sized chickens but these little girls can hold their own. My grandkids named them Hairy and Jellybean. The Black one is Midnight Thanks
    Midnight[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hairy[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jellybean[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hairy in Back Jellybean in front[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    I believe midnight is a cockerel. The two with feathers on their legs are probably cochins.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. rogersne

Mar 9, 2015
    south west Nebraska
    Well evidently Midnight wont be a colored egg layer. LOL I was hoping they might be cochins. Thanks for the reply. Any Idea what kind of chicken Midnight is?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Midnight is a Black Australorp, and the others look like Partridge Cochins.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hairy and Jellybean look like Partridge Cochins, and are probably pullets. Midnight is a Black Australorp cockerel.

6. rogersne

Mar 9, 2015
    south west Nebraska
    Thanks everybody for the replies, I hate to break it to my husband as these were all from the pullets he got me for my birthday. I live in a small town so not sure about having roosters. Guess well see

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by