Unknown disease:diarrhea,weight loss,possible anemia

denisamoga2

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2020
I have a hen who has for the past week getting slower and a bit paler so i checked her for lice and i did found a one but i had to really look for it.So i got diatomaceous earth and as i looked further on articles i got what i thought was coccidiosis and worm treatments but the ingredients list doesn’t contain anything but herbs/herb extracts which means it’s for prevention,not curing (but the site claimed it also works for curing).
5 days ago she noticeably ate less and moved less with a transparent yellowish diarheea.I used the diatomaceous earth on her and also the coccidiosis “treatment” but she only got worse day by day.I didn’t seek help because i thought each day was going to be her last because of how bad she was doing.I kept researching and because of her diarrhea i keep going back and further between avian typhoid,internal parasites (although i’ve never seen worms in her poops) and coccidiosis (she also hasn’t had bloody poops).I gave her amoxicillin diluted in water for 4 days.Two days ago i gave half a legit dewormer pill from the vet(nobody checked her i just asked my mom to get it from them) but i didn’t give her another half yesterday because i’m scared of weakening her further (and also because i’ve seen no worms) and i’ve been keeping her inside my room for 2 days and a half.The reason i didn’t go to the vet is because i live in a small town where they don’t have a lab for testing and they also don’t really care for chickens.I have to force feed her but she drinks.I can’t keep doing this since i have to go to college in 2 days and i did skip the first day of it to stay home to watch her.One reason for which i think it’s not avian typhoid is because she didn’t get sick suddenly and she should’ve been dead by now from what i’ve read and i really hope it’s not since there is no cure.I’m going to attach a photo of her diarrhea during the night&this morning since i haven’t seen anything like it on the internet.Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 8
There's no quick cure, it takes time to map out what's wrong with her. Also you mentioned your leaving for college very soon, who's going to maintain treatment if there is one?

As for dealing with lice and mites use a permethrin duster, that will definitely kill them.

You must follow manufacturer's direction when using any dewormer. Otherwise it can harm or be ineffective.

Hope someone else can chime in to help you.

I have a hen who has for the past week getting slower and a bit paler so i checked her for lice and i did found a one but i had to really look for it.So i got diatomaceous earth and as i looked further on articles i got what i thought was coccidiosis and worm treatments but the ingredients list doesn’t contain anything but herbs/herb extracts which means it’s for prevention,not curing (but the site claimed it also works for curing).
5 days ago she noticeably ate less and moved less with a transparent yellowish diarheea.I used the diatomaceous earth on her and also the coccidiosis “treatment” but she only got worse day by day.I didn’t seek help because i thought each day was going to be her last because of how bad she was doing.I kept researching and because of her diarrhea i keep going back and further between avian typhoid,internal parasites (although i’ve never seen worms in her poops) and coccidiosis (she also hasn’t had bloody poops).I gave her amoxicillin diluted in water for 4 days.Two days ago i gave half a legit dewormer pill from the vet(nobody checked her i just asked my mom to get it from them) but i didn’t give her another half yesterday because i’m scared of weakening her further (and also because i’ve seen no worms) and i’ve been keeping her inside my room for 2 days and a half.The reason i didn’t go to the vet is because i live in a small town where they don’t have a lab for testing and they also don’t really care for chickens.I have to force feed her but she drinks.I can’t keep doing this since i have to go to college in 2 days and i did skip the first day of it to stay home to watch her.One reason for which i think it’s not avian typhoid is because she didn’t get sick suddenly and she should’ve been dead by now from what i’ve read and i really hope it’s not since there is no cure.I’m going to attach a photo of her diarrhea during the night&this morning since i haven’t seen anything like it on the internet.Any ideas?
There's no quick cure, it takes time to map out what's wrong with her. Also you mentioned your leaving for college very soon, who's going to maintain treatment if there is one?
I got two days of going to school physically and two days of online classes and one free day but i’m willing to skip this week for her.

As for dealing with lice and mites use a permethrin duster, that will definitely kill them.

You must follow manufacturer's direction when using any dewormer. Otherwise it can harm or be ineffective.

Hope someone else can chime in to help you.
The only instructions it has is to give it for two consecutive days and 1 full pill/kg.I gave her half since she used to be around half a kilogram but now she must be lighter.I was worried about how it would affect her if she doesn’t actually have internal parasites.

The only instructions it has is to give it for two consecutive days and 1 full pill/kg.I gave her half since she used to be around half a kilogram but now she must be lighter.I was worried about how it would affect her if she doesn’t actually have internal parasites.
If given the right dose it shouldn't bother her.

Update:I called a vet and he told me she’s probably going to pass away but i could try giving her Furogal O.

Back
Top Bottom