Unknown disease killing off seemingly healthy flock?

LanzaroteSteve

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
Hi all,

I have lost 5 adult chickens in the last week, one moment they're fit and healthy, the next thing they're dead! No symptoms previously.

I lost my biggest last week (18 months old) and he was just lying dead in the middle of their feeding area, I thought he may have had a heart attack. The following day I lost another smaller cockerel (5 months old), then a gap of a few days where all was fine and then yesterday two were dead in the coup lying side by side, one beautiful 8 month old hen and a further young cockerel. Today there is a young cockerel dead in the nest box inside the coup.

I have cleaned and disinfected twice since the second one died. I did think the first two had noticably purple combs once dead, but I'm not so sure this is anything out of the ordinary now as the last few look "normal". We live in the Canary Islands in Spain, and it is hot at the moment, but nothing that they've not been used to before. And it appears they are dying in the night when it is cooler.

Any help greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

My only advice to you would be to try and find someone that will do a necropsy for you. That will be the only way that you will truly know what is happening in your flock. 5 deaths in a week would be 4 deaths too many to make it a coincidence. Something is going on in your flock and you need to get to the bottom of it.

Good luck! Please let us know what you find out.

Back
Top Bottom