Unknown Disease Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PriorySchool, Oct 21, 2016.

1. PriorySchool

PriorySchool Just Hatched

Oct 21, 2016
    Hello,

I am part of a project at my high school to raise laying hens to provide for our cafeteria. We have 58 chicks that are give or take a couple days a month old. About two weeks ago we were treating for pasty butt and we noticed one Delaware a strange bump on its rear end but we did not think much about it. A couple days ago we noticed a Delaware that was is very bad shape. It was not moving around much and very large for its age, much larger than the rest of the chicks. It was missing many of its feathers and when I picked it up it was much hotter than any of the other chicks. It also was having diarrhea and most of what was coming out was undigested food. Occasionally liquid would come out in the poop. The lower rear of the chick was also inflamed and felt swollen. We quickly isolated the chick and another student took it home to monitor it. At this point we are all fairly sure that it will die and we are planning to do an autopsy on the chick to see what went wrong. I have a few questions.

What do you think this disease is and is it contagious?

If it is contagious what if anything can be done to stop it spreading to the rest of the flock?

What should we do when we do the autopsy?

Here are some pictures of the sick chick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] I believe that the chick is a Cornish X meat bird. They are slow to feather, messy over eating little poop machines. The pictures you have posted do not appear to be of a sick bird - just a 'normal' meat bird.

1 person likes this.
  3. PriorySchool

PriorySchool Just Hatched

Oct 21, 2016
    Thanks for the response. Raising this many chicks has been quite an adventure and your knowledge is greatly appreciated. I googled the breed you were talking about and it looks like our bird for sure. We were all worried that we had a deadly disease on our hands!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by