Unknown predator killing my baby chicks (IN ENGLAND)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cherlyn, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    ETA that I really do not know what this predator is - what England-dwelling animal removes the heads (cannot find them) of baby chicks?

Neighbor's cat got to three of my chicks last night. I did not properly shut the coop door. So now I am minus one golden silkie, one blue araucana, and one buff orpington, all under four weeks old.

Almost positive it was the neighbor's cat - all chicks missing heads, or nearly missing heads. One with a nasty leg injury, partially decapitated.

Lesson learned.

~Cherlyn

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I thought removing heads was sign of a raccoon.

I've never known a pet cat to eat chickens, especially at night. They like to stalk/chase moving yard chickens, but I think a cat would have to be starving to attack a sleeping chicken.
    Or am I misreeding, they weren't asleep?
    If they were up moving around then, yeah I could see a cat taking out the little 4 week olds.

Still, when my cats kill wild birds they don't generally remove the heads.

3. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:See, that is what I thought. But I have yet to see a raccoon here in England. Think I will do some research. All of the babies were sleeping.

~Cherlyn

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Set a live trap baited with cat food, see what you catch.

If it's a hungry cat you'll catch it, and raccoons love cat food as well, so either way you get your predator.

5. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:Hm, good idea. Very new to this, though - where would I get a live trap?

~Cherlyn

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What about a weasel? When mine were attacked by a weasel..a few were missing their heads..
    Sorry about your babies! [​IMG]

8. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Sounds like a racoon kill to me also. I have never had a cat kill a sleeping chick...they usually stalk them during the daytime. Always a first though.

Racoons almost always bite the heads off. Let us know what you catch.

So sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

9. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:Wondering about that as well. As long as I keep the coops shut up at night, I think I will be fine.

Whatever predator it is, why is it going for the littlest chicks? I have full-grown chickens in there as well, and they are not touched.

~Cherlyn

10. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:I thought that at first, but there are no wild raccoons in England. *scratching head*

~Cherlyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by