Unknown reason for dead bird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jgurshtein, Oct 17, 2013.

1. jgurshtein

jgurshtein Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2012
    Denver, CO
    This morning I went out to feed my chickens and found my favorite girl dead. I'm new to this, all my birds are 8 months old and were happy and healthy yesterday. As hard as this is for me, I would like to know why she died so that I might be able to prevent it in the future. Does anyone have a place for to start figuring out what happened?

2. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    hey are they laying yet ? was she laying also what breed was she was she outside or inside

3. jgurshtein

Nov 7, 2012
    Denver, CO
    They have been laying for a while. They are outside birds. She clearly came out of the coop like normal when my husband opened it up. Then I go out when I get up and feed them. She was just laying there on her front with no apparent injuries. I'm not sure how floppy their necks are supposed to be, maybe she snapped it somehow? Or perhaps it was something internal?

4. jgurshtein

Nov 7, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Oh, she was a speckled sussex

5. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I had a 5 month hen die, and she was part of my special breed flock. After 6 years of backyard birds I have come to the conclusion that just like all animals and people sometimes they just die. Seems that the special/favorites are more likely to die young. With each death I review coop and pen conditions for safety, sanitation diet, mean birds, everything is reviewed. With my most recent loss I conclude sometimes they die, even under good conditions. It does seem my barnyard mutts seem to live forever.

6. jgurshtein

Nov 7, 2012
    Denver, CO
    I've come to terms with the fact that she could have 'just died' and there was nothing I could do to prevent it. But does anyone know of ways I can check her for anything internal that may have killed her? Something with her crop? Or a blockage?

7. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    You can have a necropsy done-- check your state's agricultural extension office. Some states do this for free or for a minimal cost. Until you find out, put her under refrigeration-- don't freeze her-- and attempt to find someone as soon as possible.

An avian vet could also do a necropsy but would likely charge more.

Contrary to what some say, chickens don't 'just die' for no reason. There's always a reason. Some reasons are much more concerning than others, of course! Simple bad genetics and a hereditary roll of the dice can take out some birds, which is sad but nothing can be done for it. There are also a lot of diseases and ailments that can kill a bird; some show symptoms and others do not.

It's up to you if you want to get a necropsy done on her or not, but it might answer some of your questions.

8. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by