Unknown rooster, and various brahma colors

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CluckCluckChoo, Nov 27, 2014.

1. CluckCluckChoo

CluckCluckChoo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2014
    California
    I need help identifying my rooster, we got him from a friend and I don't think she knows exactly what breed he is either. She said her hens had started laying some green eggs so I thought well if she got them together, then perhaps he's an EE. But I've checked online and he doesn't look anything like that. He's about 4-5 months old I would guess, and he seems
    BIG, to me at least haha. He has a crooked tail as well and he has just started crowing.i[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

2. CluckCluckChoo

Nov 26, 2014
    California
    Then we got him these 4 brahmas yesterday, and I'm hoping they are all pullets, they are all 2 months old and I can tell one is a dark and one is a buff, but the seller said one is a partridge, and the 4th I thought looked like an orloff mix or some other mix just because she is such a puffball and has a little beard of feathers. But the seller assured me she is a pure brahma. Also the puff is the cockerals favorite as well. I was just hoping someone could give me some feedback on the puffball and the "partridge".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two are the puffball.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "partridge"? With the dark runt in the last photo.
    [​IMG]

My buff.

[​IMG]

Another partridge pic.

Thanks in advance guys!

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The rooster is a BO with a wry tail.

The first hen is probably a Favorelle X. She is not a full brahma. She has extra toes, non standard color and ear muffs. Partridge is not a standard brahma color either. They could be darks but I've never raised them so not sure at this age. The grey/black from the top does look more like what I would think a dark would look like at this point. The buff is the easy one. They do all look like pullets at this point.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  4. CluckCluckChoo

Nov 26, 2014
    California
    Thank you so much! The would the wry tail be genetic and passed on to any chicks he fathers? Or is it just a quirk that pops up from time to time?

Oh and the dark one I'm sure of has a black and white sort of penciling while the other is more of a brown and black which is why I think it must be some other coloring, or some sort of mix.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    It is genetic.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your rooster is a buff Orpington, and should not be used for breeding. That wry tail is genetic and you don't want that in your flock, hens with that condition have laying issues. Not a pretty thing [​IMG]

Too bad, because your little mystery hen looks like a hatchery quality salmon Faverolles, and putting her under a buff rooster would give you cute little sex link chicks...males white/silver, females gold/orange. Find another rooster if you want to try that.

My understanding is partridge is a project color on Brahmas. Maybe see if there's a thread in the breed/faq section on them and get some input?

7. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    x2

8. CluckCluckChoo

Nov 26, 2014
    California
    Thanks so much guys, extremely helpful information! Our roo won't be kept for breeding and we might bring ourselves to eat him.... And I'm gonna try out the Brahma forums and see what they have to say about the little brown and black lady too.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by