Unknown Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by melinda342, Mar 20, 2011.

1. melinda342

melinda342 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    I do not have a picyure of my rooster but i found 1 on the internet he looks like ecxcept his tail feathers are shorter. please help.

[​IMG]

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    The one pictured looks like a white leghorn to me.

3. melinda342

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    so would mine be the same even though his tail feathers are shorter? they are the same style though.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If your roo is solid white, large comb, white earlobes, yellow legs, kinda lean build, he's a leghorn.

5. melinda342

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    he is not al all lean, but i heard these chickens we got for an ag project at school were genetically modified/engineered to grow fast and get really fat, so they do not live long. What is the average lifespan of a chicken though?

6. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    It sounds like you have a cornish cross, meatbird. They are for eating, and don't live long due to their rapid weight gain.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Uh, then you don't have a Leghorn. There are a couple breeds specifically bred for meat production that do as you were told by the ag folks. THOSE birds generally die long before they are 18 months old, because they are bred to be processed at less than six months of age, having reached the size they need to be. They often die of heart attacks because they cannot carry their bulk (and legs give out, too).

The life span of a regular chicken, not one bred for rapid growth, can be as much as 10 years, although most don't make it that long due to mishap. There are members here who have 14 year old chickens.....

A lot of people think chickens only live 2 - 3 years, because that's they're best laying years. Chicken factories cull their stock around 2 years of age, because egg production falls off afterwards, but old hens can lay eggs as long as they live. Just not very often.

8. melinda342

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    the ag teachers did not tell us this. a girl at a show learned this herself and told us. so if i did not feed him too much and kept his weight down, would he live longer?

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Some folks here have had success with limiting feed and encouraging foraging and have had cornish crosses live 2-3 years. It's pretty rare, though. They're pretty much a self-terminating breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by