unknown roosters what breed? please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by solarquail, Oct 1, 2009.

1. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    so i was looking for some free roosters and this one person replied with these pictures and i cant tell what breed they are. please help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Im thinking this one is some kind of phoenix!

2. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    The black one looks like an austerlorp to me!!!

3. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    No idea, but I had to comment on that beautiful white rooster, his chest is like a checkered board [​IMG]

4. solarquail

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    the person says there bantams.

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    The black one looks like he could be a silkie cross, i say that because of - His crest, his facial expression, and he's not exactly a large bird, him being red faced doesn't matter. He has a funky rose comb going on so i would think he's crossed with a rose combed breed i couldn't guess which, he may even be a three-way cross.

The Silver duckwing, i would guess a old english game bantam over production breed... Look for heavy breeds with blue legs. Again though it's really hard to tell with crosses, because if coming from someone who just let their birds run loose they can be three, four, or five way crosses even between crosses and not show much a resemblance to their heritage.

6. solarquail

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    So Should i get them? [​IMG]

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Depends, if you just want a few pretty birds to free range or own. I don't see why not- they are free. If used for breeding purposes i wouldn't get them. Remember to quarantine if you do get them...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  8. cwhit590

cwhit590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    I think that 2nd one is pretty awesome too! [​IMG]

9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

The first guy looks like a Cochin X Silkie. Unless that little speed-bump on his head is not a crest, but the result of some lost and growing feathers that he's getting (it looks like he's molting, 'tis the season). And he's sporting a fine 'coral comb' (rosecomb).

I'm not even going to bother with the second one. If you'd like some roos and they're nice, friendly, healthy looking in person, go ahead.

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    There's no silkie or cochin blood in that first one. It does have a slight crest, but it is also lacking feathered feet. Looks more like a polish cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by