Unknown sex

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by conniestancexp, Jun 18, 2016.

1. conniestancexp

conniestancexp New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    Hi could anyone help us out about our ducks sex we arent sure if they are girls or boys, they are 3-4months we think any help would be appreciated thanks!:)[​IMG]

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I think those are boys. Do they quack or are they raspy and sound like frogs?

3. conniestancexp

conniestancexp New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    They both quack and squeak

4. conniestancexp

conniestancexp New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    they both quack at times and squeak as well so we really don't have a clue haha

5. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Duck gender can be a problem. They look like Mallards, but I have Rouens.
    Try seperating them. Carry one duck far away, and set it down if you can. It will quack to its companion. Or it won't. This is one way I tell who quacks and who rasps.
    When Rouens or Mallards get their first set of feathers, they all look like the generic, stereotypical female. The males don't have green heads. Even as ducklings that are molting, a green shine on the head doesn't help (one of my females had a green shine. My male did too, but this isn't an accurate way to tell).
    The best way to tell is try to figure out who quacks. You can also wait until the males get their feathers in. This is when the males get their green heads.
    Also, if you look at this pair of Rouen ducks (very similiar to Mallards):
    [​IMG]
    The males have orange beaks, and the females have more dark, and slightly orange, beaks. This doesn't develop right off the bat, but can develop when they're 6-10 weeks.
    Hope this helped :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  6. conniestancexp

conniestancexp New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    they both go mental when we separate them especially the one who is standing, yeah both have slightly a green tinge to their heads but one has a completely white chest and stomach and the other is brown so we really aren't sure haha but thank you for the help!:)

7. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    What do you mean mental?
    And the white bellied one looks female but that's just the white haha. Call me sexist but I really think white ducks look more female!

8. conniestancexp

conniestancexp New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    they both squeak and quack they really don't like being separated

9. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    You need to give them some tough love. Seperate them. I don't mean for anymore than a couple minutes, just as long as it takes you to tell who is quacking. Let them squeak and quack- it only makes your job easier. You're in charge, not them. :)

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

A female will have a very loud QUACK.
    Males sound as if they have a mouthful of food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by